Board Minutes September 2017

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for September 2017

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: Room ED 113. 6:30 PM

Please RSVP to [board@edmontonbikes.ca] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!

Attendance

  • Meeting Chair: Michael Cenkner
  • Minute-taker: Derek (unil 8:30), Geoff
  • Food by: Jonathan
  • Board attendance: Jasmine, Nancy, Mike, Michael, Adrian, Jeremy, Derek (until 8:30)
  • Staff attendance: Chris
  • Regrets:
  • Guests: Karlie

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Michael at 6:35 pm.

Logistics for Next Meeting [AGM]

  • Date: Sunday, October 15th 2017
  • Location: Downtown Edmonton Community League, 10042 103 St
  • 1:00 to 3:00 PM

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

MOTION
To approve this August meeting agenda, and the August 2017 minutes August Minutes, and committee reports as presented below.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Jasmine
Aye No Abstain
8 0 0

Carried

President's Report - Jon

Jon has been going through the financials, there were some deposits that needed to be reviewed and Molly had some outstanding hours. The funds will be reconciled. The report from the staff regarding the ED transition between Molly and Chris is that it is going smoothly and Molly is enjoying what she is doing.

Treasurer's Report - Geoff

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bhIPpcXv6efac06lIAkqP-n3o3SzgHSB9-1hSi0ww7Q
  • At the end of August, we received about $14,000 in expense statements, (primary parts orders from Babac). Should we claim that all in August or apply the expenses it over the course of the year. There are two reasons why this matters, 1) is it appropriate from an accounting standpoint 2) there may also be a question of optics to consider. Geoff is recommending we apply the expense to last year's expenses to be a true reflection of our books.

Our sales were higher than last year, even in August when we were closed for staff vacation. We do have a bike builder this year which might explain the increased in sales (more bikes to sell, better condition bikes to sell).


H.R. Committee Report - Nancy

  • [September HR Report]
  • Jeremy and Jasmine prepared the link for the board orientation manual (largely built off the groundwork of Anna V).
  • The board job descriptions are finished on schedule and ready for the AGM.

Administrative Committee Report - no report

  • [(add link)]

Strategic Planning Committee Report -

Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
    • everyone please log monthly hours. Chris Chan will create specific volunteer hours login and email the link out to board members
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.


New Business

New Business Item 1: [AGM Planning]

  • The AGM will be at the Downtown Edmonton Community League, 10042 103 Street from 1:00 to 3:00 PM.
  • It may be best if Coreen only mentions the winning volunteers.
  • Jasmine will be away for the AGM.
  • AGM Task List

Item 2: [Board Evaluation/Recruitment/ Succession planning-Jasmine/ Nancy]

Discussion of board evaluation results

Jasmine to post summary document here:

Thoughts on next steps
- go over a few items with lowest scores and work on those
- come up with a training/development plan
- good topic for next board retreat

Discussion of board recruitment needs and succession planning

Jasmine to post summary document here:
Discussion of what additional recruiting we might need, who is coming back for sure, who might be interested in which positions

Item 3:[Board Training- Jeremy]

Discussion of board training opportunity with Alberta Tourism Board Development

1.5 days of board development available
workshop free of charge
pick a date
75% of board attend
provide information about organization, location, etc.
free of charge
need 6-8 weeks notice
Dec 1 or 2nd, or into the new year

Are we interested in this type of training?

Nancy: good to keep them separate (annual board retreat), and think about this for Jan/Feb
Chris: have taken this type of board development before. Good program, but quite high level - need to be clear about where board is at, and what we need
Jeremy: we'd have to make sure it was of value to us - appropriate level / content
Michael: could image it being to general
Nancy: could take back to them the kinds of things we want to work on, and find out if they are able to do that
Jeremy: get a sense of how valuable this would be 
Nancy: see if they can customize agenda
Chris: they do (customize agenda) - it's a conversation (know people who work in this area), they want to provide things that are useful to board (not too generic)
Jonathon: if we can customize agenda, could we condense it
Chris: last time we did it, it was one evening
Jeremy: could go into strategic planning instead (but this group doesn't do it)
Jonathon: strategic planning help might be more appropriate
Chris: could get a referral from them
Nancy: budget item

Jeremy: inquire into what level / items in training we need (customized, length of time), and where might we go for faclilitation of strategic planning

Item 4:[Budget Discussion - Geoff]

- discuss the budget for next year. We will need to vote on accepting a draft budget. - discuss risks, and planned expenditures (staff, BWN renovations, expected an increase in sales ...)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QG6dbdNABie-IKPDitVkOdTxZtjWdmCE7LDDEvSG2BQ/edit#gid=1076733922

Some of the details in the budget will change, subject to staff and board input, but the board should come to an agreement on what level of budget deficit we are willing to proceed with.

Discussion on increasing revenues - work towards increased sponsorship, donations


Motion: to approve budget in principal, as presented NANCY

2nd: Jonathon
In favour : all
Carried

In Camera:

  • Discussion notes:
MOTION
To go in Camera

Moved:
Seconded:
Aye No Abstain
0 0 0

No quorum

Adjournment

MOTION
To adjourn the meeting at 9:30 pm.

Moved: Jonathon
Seconded: {{{second}}}
Aye No Abstain
{{{yes}}} {{{no}}} {{{abstain}}}

carried