Board Minutes September 2016

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for September 12, 2016

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: room 113 Education South, University of Alberta
  • Start Time: 6:30pm

Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!

Attendance

  • Meeting Chair: Jon
  • Minute-taker: Geoff
  • Food by: Karl
  • Board attendance: Jon, Geoff, Nancy, Adrian, Jasmine
  • Staff attendance: Chris
  • Regrets: Anna, Derek, Dan
  • Absent: Karl, Rachel
  • Guests: Mr. Constantine

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Jon at 6:40pm.

Logistics for Next Meeting

  • Date: Monday Oct 17
  • Location: Room 113 128, Ed S, U of A
  • Chair: Derek
  • Minute-taker: Dan
  • Food by: Karl

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

MOTION
To approve this September agenda, the August 2016 minutes, and reports as presented below.

Moved: Nancy
Seconded: Jasmine
Aye No Abstain
5 0 0

Passed

President's Report - Jon

  • [President's Report (Month) (Year)]

Treasurer's Report - Geoff

Executive Director's Report - Chris

  • [ED Report (Month) (Year)]

H.R. Committee Report - Nancy

  • [H.R. Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Policy Committee Report - Dan

  • [Policy Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Strategic Planning Committee Report - Derek

  • [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone log your 2016 board volunteer hours for the past month.
  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
  • Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
  • Dec 2015: Anna will book 30 min meeting before board meeting for Asana orientation by Exec.
  • Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki and (Feb 2016) all new TOR (Executive, Policy, HR) to wiki
  • Feb 2016: Geoff to get access online to Tangerine (ING) account where casino funds are cashed in the interim in order to view balance
  • Apr 2016: Jon, Geoff connect regarding the budget allocated for the Program Coordinator. Regardless if we have charitable status or not, we should know what our budgetary constraints are.
  • Apr 2016: Derek & SP Committee to share program eval criteria with ED/staff to begin testing.
  • May 2016: Geoff will look into putting Simply back ups into Google Drive.
  • May 2016: Nancy will share final copy of Bikeway Design doc when available.
  • May 2016: Jon, Geoff, Derek, Adrian, Chris will meet as ad-hoc subcommittee about membership in May.
  • Jun 2016: Geoff to sort out how do EFT for more prompt payment to volunteers, and make sure Gemma can do this. Treasure still to approve
  • Jul 2016: Chris will put note in Asana for 2018 to review GWI-EBC agreement. Geoff will add notes into 2017 budget doc for 2018 $25k info for GWI lease. Jon to draft a written document with YCR2 Leadership Team to specify agreement terms, notably that YCR2 will fund raise the full $75,000 on behalf of EBC.

COMPLETED

  • Aug 2016: Anna to book U of A facility for Sept-Dec
  • Aug 2016: Dan will draft a motion for email vote prior to Sept 11.
  • July 2016: Jon went go to Servus with Heather to complete her sign-on for YCR2 account signing and online view-only access.


Budget Proposal - Final Review (15 min) Geoff

  • As YCR2 has lots of deferred revenue, this can be claimed if revenues are less than expenses. Thus YCR2 budgets should be near balanced. A revised budget taking this into account has been prepared.
  • Geoff would like this revised budget approved.
MOTION
To amend the 2017 budget, to increase BikeWorks cost of sales by $7,000 and draw down on YCR2 deferred revenue to cover any YCR2 expenses that exceed revenue.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Adrian
Aye No Abstain
5 0 0

Carried

Update on Charity Directorate & Goodwill Space (5 min) Jonathan

  • Finally made contact with the adjudicator handling our Charitable Status application.
  • Discussion notes:
    • How do we decide/start being a charity after being approved? When we get approved, we are - but we'd have to determine when we start making operational changes (issues tax receipts ... )
    • Once we get it, what do we need to do to run with it?


Update on Goodwill Space for YCR2 (5 min) Jonathan

  • Goodwill Warehouse still appears to be a construction zone. May have to employ an alternate location for YCR2 October intake event. Jon has emailed and called Ivan, and may call Dale with Goodwill as we need to know if this facility will be available for October intake
  • Discussion:
    • Adrian - where is the backup? Jon - Sherwood Park - the Robin Hood center - the issue is ... after getting all the bikes back, where do they go? Hoping Goodwill space will be available for storing bikes right away
  • Action Items: Jonathan to find out what happens / timing after charitable status getting approval - registration of organization.

AGM Preparations Discussion (20 min) Jon

  • AGM Sunday Oct 2nd
  • Location?
  • update on reports: President; Treasurer; Executive Director. Sep 26th deadline for board-reviewed reports (circulate reports the week before). Jon suggests moving some of the detail on agreement with Goodwill into Treasurer's report.
  • Resolution to amend Bylaws
  • any other considerations
  • Discussion notes:
    • we need a list of who is going into their second year, who needs to be re-elected, who is running
  • Action Items: Geoff to ask Gemma to get August financials done ASAP, so Geoff can write up Treasurer report - write up report without final numbers, for review by board by EOD Friday. Nancy to follow up with Anna to see if a location is booked. Jonathan to provide Chris with interpretation and explanation of bylaw amendment for circulation to the membership prior to the general meeting.

New Business

Medical Incident at BikeWorks (10 min) Chris

  • Incident at Bikeworks south where a volunteer had a medical incident. EMS called, dealt with situation, and left. Volunteer was fine, but discussed what the best procedures where in an incident like this. No clear answer to this. Volunteer is a keyholder, and comes into the shop a lot
  • We don't have a policy about coming in on own / working on own (non-public hours)
  • Next step - have a longer conversation about best practices
  • if volunteer able to manage risk when on own? If not discourage volunteer from going to shop on own. Or, checking in when in shop on own
  • Discussion notes:
  • Action Items: Chris will have a more in depth discussion with volunteer about best practices / managing risk.
  • Action Items: Nancy will follow up on Occupational Health and Safety Advisor.

Pogo Car-Share (10 min) Jasmine

  • EBC has a business account with Pogo - if doing business on behalf of EBC, person could use EBC's pogo account for this business. Chris set up a promo code with Pogo - a EBC member can use this and get a free membership (normally one-time fee)
  • EBC could have some shop FOBs. Chris isn't aware of this / didn't set it up
  • Discussion notes:
    • We don't currently have a transportation policy - what to do if transportation is required for business activities
      • Could be a good idea - but how would this be controlled?
      • Chris isn't sure that a corporate membership would be that useful - things could be out of the zone.
      • The staff member that doesn't already have a POGO membership wouldn't use this. We can still reimburse volunteers for expenses. It is fairly expensive to do a run from the north to the south shop (over $20)
    • Discussion points to the need for a travel policy...

Alberta Bikes Conference (10 min) Karl

  • Promoting free tickets to the conference.
  • Discussion notes:
    • Nancy want going to go, but didn't think the topics this year (cycle tourism) were as relevant
    • Jon thinks we aren't doing much for outreach currently. Looking forward to next year, should develop a travel policy. If we are successful in having a surplus budget, we could get more involved in outreach - other bicycle related organization
    • Nancy noted that it was good to meet with and connect
    • Karl did a good job promoting this, we could have done a better job responding to this

Member Topics (10 min) Mr. Constantine

  • Phoenix Bikes - Washington - lots of outreach to groups with economic disadvantages. Big orientation to helping people with financial needs - earn a bike, fix bikes, etc. Edmonton has lots of homeless people, EBC might want to look at what Phoenix Bikes does
    • Nancy mentioned the Spoke program
    • Phoenix bikes has a heavier orientation to social work
    • Jon - suggested going to the North shop - a very different clientele - probably much more aligned - this is part of our mandate
  • Proposed Bylaw Amendment
    • Guest suggest sending out a 'before and after' for what the amendment would mean, as it wasn't clear to him
    • Jon clarified. We've had good board members that have to leave the board after 4 years. We want to allow directors to stay on for more than 4 consecutive years but ... member could not serve on the executive more than 4 consecutive years

Adjournment

MOTION
To adjourn the meeting at 8:38 pm.

Moved: Adrian
Seconded: Nancy
Aye No Abstain
5 0 0

Carried