Board Minutes September 2014
These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for September 17, 2014
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Logistics for Next Board Meeting
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 6 Current & Completed Business
- 7 New Business
- 8 In Camera Session (15 min)
- 9 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for September 17, 2014
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: Room 262 Education South, UofA
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Matt
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by: n/a
- Board attendance: Matt, Caylie, Anna, Steve (730), Kristen (755)
- Staff attendance: Coreen
- Regrets: Sarah, Doug, Bernadette, Chris Chan, Carlos, Chris Corrigan, Leila
- Guests: Kyra
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Matt at 757 pm.
Logistics for Next Board Meeting
- To be decided via email...
- Date: Wednesday October 15, 2014
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by:
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this Sept agenda, the August 2014 minutes, and BikeWorks Manager report as presented below. Motioned by Kristen. Seconded by Steve. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To approve this August Financial Report as presented below. Motioned by Steve. Seconded by Anna. Caylie abstains. Motion Carried.
- Financial Report August 2014 - submitted by Neil Sept 16
Executive Director's Report
- BikeWorks Report August 2014 - submitted by Coreen Sept 10
- Big issue is fence break-ins at BWN. Very labour intensive to repair. Would be fine keeping the fence open but the mess that is left is also very labour intensive.
- Solutions: better bike storage like at BWS; spring bike sale; seacan storage?
- Action Items: Steve will ask his contact (dad) about quote and sourcing used seacans.
Advocacy Committee Report
H.R. Committee Report
Policy Committee Report
Strategic Planning Committee Report
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2014 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
- Nov 2013: Executive Committee (Leila, Sarah, Anna, Carlos) will pursue a Servus credit card for EBC in the name of the Executive Director. June 2014: Anna will check with Servus to clarify what status of card application is...
- Feb 2014: Kristen/Policy Committee will incorporate petty cash max in future Financial policy.
- April 2014: Bernadette will get further details on procedure to submit a letter to AGLC or sign onto a group letter.
- April 2014: Anna will draft a response to patron about EBC current and proposed practices re inclusion/accessibility.
- April 2014, June 2014: Chris Co will draft an Advocacy Coordinator description by April 25 and pass to Chris Chan for posting. Chris Co will send to Caylie for review. Final position will be posted to Advocacy listserv. August Update: Chris Co will send to Caylie before Sept meeting.
- May 2014: Anna will follow up with ATB and YCR2 with report/thank you for donations.
- May 2014: Executive Committee (Leila, Sarah, Carlos, Anna) will create an info sheet outlining the expense reimbursement process. (i.e. a policy or procedure for how to get reimbursements)
- May 2014: Doug will follow up with Bern re: Hazard Assessments and coordinate to get this done.
- June 2014: Caylie will write draft job description for bike builder, workshop instructor, admin position and send to staff. Chris, Coreen to present draft to volunteers by end of August 2014. August 2014 update: Need clarification about whether this is happening.
- June 2014: Leila will contact Micah and coordinate closing TD and RBC accounts.
- July 2014: Everyone review your personal board goals that were written at the Nov 2013 board retreat to do a personal reflection on how you are doing so far
- Aug 2014: HR Committee will meet with Coreen to discuss solutions to interpersonal issues at BW.
- Coreen has been meeting with individuals. HR Committee could help with creating a more formal process for this would be useful.
- Aug 2014: Sarah, Doug will email for some quotes for First Aid training. Will check into getting hazard assessment/safety audits at our location at same time as training.
- Aug 2014: Matt, Kristen, Chris Co will arrange the food, door prizes and volunteer awards, respectively by Sept board meeting.
- Aug 2014: Carlos will ask Servus if we can get 2 deposit cards. Anna will make a deposit before sept.
- Anna and other signatory will go to Servus to get deposit cards.
- Oct 2013: Anna to make record of what to do for next AGM. DONE
- Jan 2014: Kristen present proposed bylaw change at AGM 2014. DONE
- June 2014: Chris Co will begin coordinate memorial ride event (contacting people, food pick up, etc). Sarah will look into mental health partnerships or initiatives. DONE
- Aug 2014: Doug will follow up with Janine/YCR2 re: social enterprise storage facility contact from Good 100 event.DONE
- Aug 2014: Anna will ask Neil to incorporate $700/year to Program Expenses into FY2015 Budget for Spoke. Inquire where YCR2 budget increases are listed. DONE
- Aug 2014: Caylie, Kristen, Doug, Sarah, Anna, Leila (ad-hoc committee) to meet with staff to figure out logistics of how to cover essential duties over month of Sept. DONE
Covering Staff Duties during Vacations/LOA (20 min)
- HR Committee met with staff to identify what duties needed to be covered.
- [email protected] and [email protected] emails now being forwarded to Leila, Sarah, Anna, Caylie.
- Anna: would like to suggest not taking on any new media requests, new event requests, bookings until October.
- Caylie: pressing issues= financial questions, voicemails, etc. Can I get media approval?
- Coreen: have canned responses for many questions and is trying to keep up as best as possible.
- Matt: Auto-reply to Chris' emails? This would help people understand the situation
- Kristen: should we consider paying someone to attend the events that we've already committed to? Steve: Would open a door to paying volunteers...
- Coreen: Queen Alex CL has an event where a core volunteer is attending but that means his shift at BWS is going to be missing a person. Matt: Could we close the shop(s) due to lack of volunteers? Coreen: We have come close to doing that twice this month already but our volunteers step up to help in amazing commitment. Matt: Closing the shop should remain an option if need be.
- Motion: To allow Caylie to be a media spokesperson on behalf of EBC effective immediately. Moved by Steve. Seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
- Action: Anna will contact Chris and BW listserv to get volunteers for Fri and Sat What The Bike event.
Annual General Meeting (15 min)
- Anna overviewed the draft agenda and list of tasks for board and staff.
- Draft Agenda
- Tasks for Board/Staff leading up to AGM and day-of
- Note deadlines that apply to you!
- Discussion notes:
- Steve is stepping down at the upcoming AGM.
- Caylie suggests we have exit interviews with outgoing board members to gather information about why they are resigning, how board could improve, etc. Matt suggests having a separate gathering sans official minutes to have a conversation/brainstorm about this.
- Matt: 12 person board is not necessary if 5 or 6 people are making informed decisions and 5 or 6 people trusting the other people are making good decisions. Caylie: Strategic Planning Committee proposing a new board structure that would help focus each board member to oversee specific areas rather than all of us having to know everything.
- Kristen: Should we add an update about the Strategic Plan? Caylie: Could give a short update but it is more research... Anna: This could be part of the President's Report, since it has to do with activities of the board over the past year.
- Existing board members term is technically until Dec 1st. Matt, Steve, Kristen are able to stay for this term to do transition/orientation with incoming members. Newly elected board members technically begins Dec but they attend the Oct and Nov meetings for transition.
- Coreen: will confirm how much money is set aside for volunteer appreciation.
- Kristen: We have at least 2 door prizes from our partners.
- BW shops will likely be closed during AGM to promote attendance. Coreen will decide depending on volunteer interest.
- Action: Caylie will send Leila a paragraph about Strategic Plan to include in Prez Report. Kristen will contact Carlos to ask if he can stay until Dec. Anna confirm with Ritchie CL whether they have wifi.
Women, Trans, Femme Day (10 min)
- Carried over from Aug meeting. (Caylie)
Cash Deposits (10 min)
- Carried over from Aug meeting. (Kristen)
BWN Fence Solution (10 min)
- Topic taken from BikeWorks Manager report...
- Coreen: We still have a budget to build an enclosure at BWS, but we dont have a budget for improving or getting new storage at BWN.
- Very demoralizing for volunteers. Very time consuming for volunteers and staff to continously address repairs, clean up, etc.
- Seacan = approx $3-4k
- Need approx 10x30... bigger would be best. Delivery cost would need to be included.
- Motion: To approve up to $4,000 for a new BWN enclosure. Moved by Kristen. Seconded by Anna. Caylie abstains. Motion Carried.
AB Bicycle Commuters Conference (10 min)
- Bernadette via email: I would really like to convey info about the upcoming Alberta Bicycle Commuters Conference, and since both Sarah and I can't make it... The speaker (or speakers - depending on a health issue) come from Share The Road in Ontario. They are both very experienced in working with different levels of gov't to improve legislation around cycling. Justin will also be talking about the Bike Friendly Community designation, like a report card for cities to see where they are on the spectrum. I think that it would be great to send a representative from the board both for the info these visitors can provide as well as for the time to network with other organizations. Right now, the registration is a bit low for attendance, so having another body or two would be great.
- We would like to send someone from EBC to attend.
- Anna: could support other bike advocacy groups! Complete Streets! Help foster other bikey orgs in Edmonton.
- We will pay for registration fees only. Email applications to Bernadette. First come, first served. We would like attendees to share
- Motion: To fund up to $200 for 4 members or partners to register for the ABBCC conference. Moved by Kristen. Seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
- Action: Steve will contact Complete Streets and BW volunteers to offer opportunity to attend.
Social Media Directive (10 min)
- Carried over from Aug meeting agenda (HR Committee)
In Camera Session (15 min)
- Kyra (CSL intern) was approved by her program to attend in camera.
- Caylie suggests we decide on a case-by-case basis. Kristen would like to get staff consent at each meeting since the in camera often involves staff topics.
- Motion: To go in camera. Moved by Steve, seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
- Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
- HR Committee update (15 min)
- Motion: To close the in camera discussion. Moved by Steve, seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Moved by Steve, seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.