Board Minutes October 2016

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for October 17, 2016

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: room 128 Education South, University of Alberta
  • Start Time: 6:30pm

Please RSVP to [] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!


  • Meeting Chair: Jon
  • Minute-taker: Dan
  • Food by: Karl
  • Board attendance: Jeremy, Geoff, Adrian, Nancy, , Derek, Michael
  • Staff attendance: Chris C.
  • Regrets:
  • Absent:
  • Guests: Dan D

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Jon at 6:38 pm.

Guest Speaker: Occupational Health & Safety Plan for BikeWorks (10 min)

  • Dan Daerendinger introduction
  • Outline of proposed OH&S plan
  • Note: no guidelines specific to voluntary organizations, instead using provincial standards
  • Roles for board, staff, and volunteers respectively
  • Staff/Board on HR committee: timeline for implementation
  • Legally, needs to be a quarterly safety meeting between staff, board (key volunteers?)
  • deliverables: see above document on google docs
  • Discussion notes:
    • Jon: no problem to ID risks; are there essential elements of a emergency management system required by law?
    • Dan: training, alarm system, communication system, standard drill and plan (e.g. fire drill)
    • Dan: also things like muster point
    • Dan: size of workplace includes staff+volunteers+members/patrons, up to maximum occupancy of each shop
    • Nancy: need to get sub-committee from HR in order to help implement this with staff
    • Jon + many others: living on borrowed time here, and this is overdue given the exposure that we have.
    • Nancy: we need to do our best job given our capacity, doesn't have to be gold standard of industry
    • Jon: some action in time for retreat?
    • Geoff: biggest job is list of hazards
    • Nancy: biggest change is culture change
    • Chris: agree with Nancy. Less control in EBC compared to most workplaces. Hybrid retail environment with lots of volunteers, can be hard to train even main volunteers
    • Nancy: safety/OHS can be a volunteer opportunity.
    • Jon closes discussion @ 7:16pm
  • Action Items: Nancy will will get sub-committee together to help implement safety by December 31st.

Logistics for Next Meeting

  • Usual Date: 2nd Monday of the month = Monday Nov 14
    • However, November also for board planning retreat to set goals and action plans for coming year. See New Business, below, for discussion on retreat.
  • Location: Room 128, Education South, U of A
  • Chair: Adrian
  • Minute-taker: Geoff
  • Food by: Jon

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

To approve this October agenda, the Sept 2016 minutes), and reports as presented below.

Moved: Anna
Seconded: Nancy
Aye No Abstain
8 0 0


President's Report - Jon

  • [President's Report (Month) (Year)]

Treasurer's Report - Geoff

  • Bookkeeper - brief discussion on hiring process
    • Our bookkeeper (contractor) resigned in September.
    • New posting has been issued on website and social media: (see all job postings we've done in the past at Please circulate to your contacts!
    • Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
    • Jonathon, Seraphim, and Geoff are helping on bookkeeper hiring process
    • Geoff eager to get hiring process done immediately, impacts quality of books

Board grants hiring committee (Jonathan, Seraphim, Geoff) the responsibility to hire a bookkeeper prior to next board meeting if possible.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Derek
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0


Executive Director's Report - Chris

  • [ED Report (Month) (Year)]

H.R. Committee Report - Nancy

Policy Committee Report - Dan

  • [Policy Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Strategic Planning Committee Report - Derek

  • [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone log your 2016 board volunteer hours for the past month.
  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
  • Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
  • Dec 2015: Anna will book 30 min meeting before board meeting for Asana orientation by Exec.
  • Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki and (Feb 2016) all new TOR (Executive, Policy, HR) to wiki
  • Feb 2016: Geoff to get access online to Tangerine (ING) account where casino funds are cashed in the interim in order to view balance
  • May 2016: Geoff will look into putting Simply Accounting back-up files into Google Drive for staff access.
  • May 2016: Nancy will share final copy of ABBCC Bike-way Design doc when available.
  • Jul 2016: Chris will put note in Asana for 2018 to review GWI-EBC agreement. Geoff will add notes into 2017 budget doc for 2018 $25k info for GWI lease. Jon to draft a written document with YCR2 Leadership Team to specify agreement terms, notably that YCR2 will fund raise the full $75,000 on behalf of EBC.
  • Sept 2016: Jonathan to find out what happens/timing after charitable status getting approval - registration of organization.
  • Sept 2016: Chris will have a more in depth discussion with volunteer about best practices / managing risk. Nancy will follow up on Occupational Health and Safety Advisor.


  • Apr 2016: Jon, Geoff connect regarding the budget allocated for the Program Coordinator. Regardless if we have charitable status or not, we should know what our budgetary constraints are.
  • Apr 2016: Derek & SP Committee to share program eval criteria with ED/staff to begin testing.
  • May 2016: Jon, Geoff, Derek, Adrian, Chris will meet as ad-hoc subcommittee about membership in May.
  • Jun 2016: Geoff to sort out how do EFT for more prompt payment to volunteers, and make sure Gemma can do this. Treasure still to approve
  • Sept 2016: Geoff to ask Gemma to get August financials done ASAP, so Geoff can write up Treasurer report - write up report without final numbers, for review by board by EOD Friday. Nancy to follow up with Anna to see if a location is booked. Jonathan to provide Chris with interpretation and explanation of bylaw amendment for circulation to the membership prior to the general meeting.

AGM Evaluation (10 min) Anna

  • The Annual Report has been signed by Jon and Nancy and now posted on the website and wiki.
  • October 4 AGM was technically successful (quorum, all motions passed, etc.)
  • What were the successful parts? What are improvements that we can make for 2017?
  • Discussion:
    • Successes: Derek: venue
    • Nancy: efficient
    • Karl: good environment
    • Michael: good participation
    • Improvements:
    • Seraphim: a few members got off topic, should stick to agenda; volunteer awards were a bit long
    • Derek: printed version of volunteer awards available (maybe in annual report?)
    • Nancy: move volunteer awards to a specific volunteer appreciation award night?
    • Adrian: bike parking a problem, not enough, should have brought our racks in.
    • Geoff: how to get more people out?
    • Jon: at retreat, discuss quality and value of AGM.
    • Michael: Molly wasn't able to attend, would have been valuable. Overall needs bigger link to YCR2.
    • Nancy: is there a way to push AGM back to better prepare reports?

  • Action Items: Retreat coordinator will add discussion of AGM to planning retreat.

Alberta Bikes Conference Highlights (10 min) Karl

  • Formerly called Alberta Bicycle Commuters Conference (ABBCC).
  • 4th annual conference occurred Sept 17-18 in Canmore this year. Edmonton speakers included Karly Coleman, MLA David Sheperd.
  • EBC sponsored 4 participamt registrations (or whatever $600 would buy) in our Aug in camera minutes. Did these get used?
  • Discussion notes: Karl notes 100 attendees; great success with good breadth of speakers. Theme on cycle tourism. Sustainability of the conference is important; next year's focus may be on advocacy. Karl is looking to EBC board members or volunteers to contribute to the conference organization next year.
    • Anna: prior EBC board members have contributed to conference organization and even started the whole thing (Thanks Bernadette!)

Business Item 3 (__ min)

  • Discussion notes:

New Business

Introductions! (15 min) All

  • Round table of introductions for the benefit of new board members.
  • Name, past & current involvement with EBC, personal skills/profession/personal interests

What is a Governance Board?

EBC Vision, Mission, Objectives, Programs

Board Responsibilities

Strategic Plan

  • March 2016 plan needs updating. This is generally done at the November board retreat (see below).

Getting Things Done! Committees

  • EBC board currently has 4 committees:
    • Executive = President Jon, VP Nancy, Treasurer Geoff, Secretary Derek
    • Human Resources Committee = Nancy, Geoff,
    • Policy Committee = Dan, Jasmine,
    • Strategic Committee = Derek, Karl, Adrian.

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

To appoint the following board members to the executive positions President: Jonathan Woelber; VP Nancy Milakovic; Secretary: Derek Pluim; Treasurer: Geoff Hansen

Moved: Jon
Seconded: Anna
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0


Scheduling Monthly Board Meetings

  • Board currently meets on 2nd Monday of each month.
  • Is this a regular conflict for anyone for 2016-7?
  • Location currently Education South at U of A. Is this accessible and appropriate for current board?

Logistics for Nov Board Retreat (15 min) Anna and Jonathan

  • Time: Fri 6:30-9:30 Friday; Sunday 1pm-4pm
  • Location: NAIT (Nancy to book)
  • Agenda: TBD by Exec committee at next board meeting (14th)
  • Action Items: Nancy to book NAIT rooms for 18th and 20th for board retreat.

Sharing Round Table

  • What are you currently interested in doing on the EBC board? What info would be most helpful at the Nov retreat (or soon) to allow you to participate actively?

In Camera Session

To go in camera.

Moved: Nancy
Seconded: Anna
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0


To close the in camera discussion.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Adrian
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0



To adjourn the meeting at 9:38pm.

Moved: Dan
Seconded: everyone
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0