Board Minutes October 2015
These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for October 26, 2015
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 6 Current & Completed Business
- 7 New Business
- 7.1 Introductions to New board members
- 7.2 What is a Governance Board?
- 7.3 EBC Vision, Mission, Objectives, Programs
- 7.4 Board Responsibilities
- 7.5 Treasurer Position (5 min) - Jonathan
- 7.6 Strategic Plan
- 7.7 Getting Things Done! Committees
- 7.8 Sharing Round Table
- 7.9 Future Meetings - tabled to November
- 8 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for October 26, 2015
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: updated Room 265 Education South, U of A campus
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [firstname.lastname@example.org] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Jon
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by:
- Board attendance: Rachel, Anna, Jasmine, Nancy, Karl, Chris Co (depart 825), Jon, Nathan
- Staff attendance: n/a
- Regrets: Dan, Adrian, Alex, Geoff, Alexey
- Absent: Derek (missed info about rm change), Kathy
- Guests: n/a
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Jon at 6:45 pm.
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Board weekend retreat
- Date: Saturday Nov 21 and Sunday Nov 22, 2015 @ 10am to 4pm
- Location: TBA room at NAIT (Nancy booking)
- Chair: Jon
- Minute-taker: rotate
- Food by: BYOL, food court is open at NAIT.
- Jasmine would not be able to attend Sat before 1 or 2pm, but could attend afternoon and anytime Sunday.
- Action Items: Anna add conflict of interest forms for all current and new board to agenda.
- December board meeting (business mtg)
- Date: Wednesday Dec 9 @ 6:30
- Location: U of A??
- Food by:
- Need to ensure we have a session for Strategic Planning.
- Action Items: Rachel will send out a poll regarding Dec 9 vs Dec 16.
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this October agenda, the Sept 2015 minutes, and reports as presented below. Moved by Chris Co. Seconded by Rachel. Motion Carried.
President's Report - Jon
- [President's Report (Month) (Year)]
- [Treasurer's Report (Month) (Year)]
Executive Director's Report - Chris Chan
- ED Report Sept 2015 - submitted Oct 20
H.R. Committee Report - Nancy
- [H.R. Committee Report (Month) (Year)]
Policy Committee Report - Dan
- [Policy Committee Report (Month) (Year)]
Strategic Planning Committee Report - Alexey
- [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2015 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
- May 2015: Geoff, Nancy will draw up an Executive Director performance plan by June 30 2015.
- May 2015: Dan, Anna, Rachel will review existing TOR and draft new TOR and Policies to clarify responsibilities and accountabilities for committees and board members by September 30 2015.
- Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too.
- Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki.
- Aug 2015: Neil will update draft budget with changes that we discussed and send us update to pass at Sept meeting. DONE
- Sep 2015: Jon to book a meeting with Anna, Neil to make adjustments to budget as discussed. DONE
- Sept 2015: Anna will share AGM task list. Everyone to sign up! DONE
- Aug 2015: Nancy will update the Strategic Plan doc with completed things and in progress things by Sept meeting. DONE
Board Member Resignation (1 min) Jon
- Alexey has given his notice that he is no longer able to be a board member and is resigning effective immediately.
- Rachel is willing to continue as a board member until a new board member is found.
- Motion: To recognize Alexey Kalinin's resignation effective immediately. Moved by Anna, seconded by Nancy. Motion Carried.
- Action Items: Anna will post the board vacancy to website asap.
Bookkeeper Position (5 min) - Jonathan
- Update on bookkeeper posting and interviews
- Jon interviewed 2 candidates last week. Would recommend Gemma Z.
- Discussion notes:
- Karl: SHould this be in camera? Jon: No personal, financial, or sensitive topics here. Contract details are within our publicly approved budget.
- Chris Co: Is Neil available to orient the new bookkeeper? Jon: Yes!
- Karl: Ongoing or fixed term contract? Jon: Open contract.
- Motion: To award the bookkeeper contract to Gemma Z. Moved by Chris Co, seconded by Rachel. Motion Carried.
- Action Items: Jon will follow up with candidates to complete the contracts.
Annual Report Final Copy (5 min) - Anna
- Final, signed financials should be edited to the Annual Report
- President Report had a few edits that Jon submitted which need to be incorporated.
- Must post final copy on website, wiki, have print copy in both shops
- Action Items: Anna will follow up with Chris to complete edits.
Introductions to New board members
- Jasmine. New board member. Volunteer at bike shop at UofA campus and interested in gaining experience as a board member.
- Rachel. Outgoing director.
- Motion: To appoint Rachel Keglowitsch as interim board member effective immediately. Moved by Nancy, seconded by Chris Co. Rachel abstains. Motion Carried.
- Karl. New director. Avid cyclist and works as Transportation Planner. I see significant potential for cycling infrastructure in the city. Have been involved in transit advocacy in post secondary and am interested to do advocacy with cycling.
- Chris Co. Outgoing member. Will be continuing with advocacy work, architecture, planning as it relates to cycling. Volunteer at the shops.
- Nancy. Current board member, VP Internal. Volunteer at BWN and thought it was a super awesome organization. Recreational cyclist but getting into transportation cycling.
- Nathan. New board member. Volunteer with the spoke program, interested in connecting/bridging leadership for the spoke and the board.
- Anna. Current board member.
What is a Governance Board?
- See doc "Roles & Resonsibilities of Non-Profit Boards" by Alberta Culture - Board Development. They have many helpful board orientation fact sheets and workbooks.
EBC Vision, Mission, Objectives, Programs
- Vision, Mission, Objects: http://edmontonbikes.ca/about/board/
- Programs: http://edmontonbikes.ca/services/
- Nancy: One of the things we have yet to do from our March 2015 planning session is to describe which programs fit under each objective, both quantitatively and qualitatively. Jon: In deciding on future programs or evaluating staff time allocation, we review these objectives to ensure we are in line with our overall organizational purpose.
- Karl: Are all of these programs listed in our finances under Capital Assets? Jon: Only assets currently listed are bike trailers which have depreciated to ~$375 each. YCR2 adapted bikes (~110) are currently not listed there, but this is something that we are hoping to incorporate. Nathan: Some bikes in the loan pool are $600 value so multiply by 110 and it could be a considerable asset. Nancy: Is there a line for expense vs asset? For example, if it is valued at less than $1k it is listed as expense but over $1k is it listed as asset. Jon: Unsure, looking for advice on this from bookkeeper or treasurer.
- Job descriptions
- See wiki > Policies > Job Descriptions
- Code of Conduct - signatures required
- Conflict of Interest - signatures required
- Karl: When I'm not working on behalf of EBC, I am working in commercial capacity for transportation planing.
- Internal communications
- wiki > Committees
Treasurer Position (5 min) - Jonathan
- We currently do not have a Treasurer but Jon has been completing these duties in the meantime.
- All board members, please consider the Treasurer job description and whether you could fulfill this role! It is urgently needed.
- Jon and our outgoing bookkeeper (and previous Treasurer) Neil are both willing to orient and support the new Treasurer in the role.
- This is an updated copy of our planning document from our March 2015 session. Specifically, look at last page with Nancy's recommended committee structure to address the remaining action items.
Getting Things Done! Committees
- See above draft doc
Sharing Round Table
- Jon: Looking forward to 4 possibly 5 new board members and their fresh outlook and ideas. Looking forward to your input. Do not contrain your input to what previous board members have done or want to do.
- Nathan: A lot to go through but exciting to see. Looking forward to the opportunity to contribute and see how my own goals can fit in.
- Nancy: Last year was quite overwhelming - lots of paperwork! Pleased that we were able to move through things that had been on the 'to do' list for a few years: charitable status, hiring new staff members, HR policy. Feeling super excited about moving forward this year.
- Karl: Comparing this with previous advocacy efforts and the foundation is very solid, in terms of policy work that has been done and institutional memory, etc. Interested to know how we represent our interests to govt in particular and how we can make that voice stronger. How we think our message comes across and how we can be more effective.
- Rachel: Excited to be continuing with the board ;)
- Jasmine: Excited, glad we got through a lot of administrative tasks today. Excited that there are a lot of experienced board members.
- Anna: Really glad to have new perspectives and ideas and people.
Future Meetings - tabled to November
- Day of month?
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 913pm. Moved by Nancy, seconded by Rachel. Motion Carried.