Board Minutes October 2014
These minutes were approved by email vote on Oct 31, 2014.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for Wednesday October 22, 2014
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 New Business
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 6 Current & Completed Business
- 7 New Business
- 8 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 9 In Camera Session (30 min)
- 10 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for Wednesday October 22, 2014
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: Room 113, Education South, UofA
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Leila
- Minute-taker: Caylie
- Food by: Sarah
- Board attendance: Bernadette (6:35), Sarah, Kristen, Steve, Leila, Carlos (6:45), Caylie, Chris Corrigan
- Staff attendance: Chris Chan
- Regrets: Anna, Coreen, Matt, Doug
- Guests: Kyra, Alex, Jonathan, Cory Seguin (Edmonton Insight Community), Mark Boulter (Edmonton Insight Community), Keren Tang (YEG Bike Coalition), Erin Hoselton (YEG Bike Coalition)
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Sarah at 6:34 pm.
Guest Speaker: Cory Seguin and Mark Boulter, Edmonton Insight Community 6:30-7:09 pm (30 min)
- via email: "Edmonton Insight Community is a group of Edmontonions who have agreed to engage consistently with the City on-line about a range of City issues. All Edmonton residents aged 15 and older can join. You can access the Community at edmonton.ca/insightcommunity. The Community was launched at the end of June and has been a great success so far. We would like to talk with you about how we can recruit an even larger and more diverse group of Edmontonions to the Community. We believe it is important to make you and the people you serve aware of the opportunity to join and seek guidance from you on how to make their experience as user friendly and meaningful as possible."
- Discussion notes:
- look at how city reaches out and engages with citizens; dealing with different demographic groups
- here to talk about one tool in particular: Edmonton Insight Community
- EBC represents an engaged interest group and leaders in our community, so EIC wants to engage with us
- one objective: to tell us about them (call land lines to engage public opinion, but 21% of Canadian households are cellphone-only, and 35 years and under are 61% - Stats Canada recognizes this an ineffective; people don't like to pick up numbers they don't know
- website: edmontoninsightcommunity.ca
- insight communities originated in private sector where firms didn't want to do calling; wanted to foster an online community of their customers - EIC is unique in that it is trying to apply it to government, and Edmonton is a world leader in this; can go back to the same respondents for feedback on new materials/information, but also share findings - particularly useful for bike lanes (have gotten comments that there are too many questions about bike lanes and the city is trying to jam bike lanes down people's throats)
- can take cyclists out and then add them back in and compare the feedback
- opt-in system - you become part of the community, answer demographic questions, then you get sent all surveys (at least one per month)and choose which ones you want to fill out (+ when and how [cell phone, iPad, etc.]), newsletters, focus groups, ask questions that are not just opinions but also ideas (not just a research tool; an engagement tool) - can indicate interests online; trialling mapping (time and route for different methods of transit)
- launched at end of June, have 1,800 users, just starting recruitment campaign now
- verify data against phone surveys
- trying to shift culture at the City of Edmonton - recognizing more than just phone surveys
- offering an open data catalogue of results
- can conduct specific research on cycling - aren't taking specific questions from communities quite yet
- and three asks
- consider joining individually
- consider becoming an ambassador to tell people about EIC
- if you have ways to improve the community, we want to hear that)
Guest Speaker: Keren Tang and Erin Hoselton, YEG Bike Coalition 7:10-7:32pm (15 min)
- Discussion notes: yegbikecoalition.info (YBC) - formed fairly recently - wanted to harness the momentum of interest in bikes and focus on the capital budget - greater investment in safer, dedicated infrastructure
- two aspects:
- join the coalition, which asks City $7m/year for the next four years (0.8% of total capital budget) - has 180 people so far - goal of 1,000 (city has committed to the 83rd Ave. lane but nothing else)
- photomosaic project with signs ("I bike" [if they do] or "I would bike if..." [if they don't bike yet])
- asking for $1500 funding from EBC for this launch event in November 20, 2015
- rental equipment, poster printing ($500), poster design ($500), space rental ($300)
- asking for funding from Make Something Edmonton and APIRG
- The Way We Move had estimated the cost of bicycle transportation, and the City approved only a fraction of that.
- focuses on central locations: downtown core, Strathcona core
- Leila: proposes to get this out to our membership to help increase numbers
- could take picture of our members at the shops and send photos out (maybe also to YCR2)
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this October agenda, the September 2014 minutes, and BikeWorks report as presented below. Moved by Kristen, seconded by Leila . Motion Carried.
- BikeWorks Report September 2014 - submitted by Coreen Oct 8 (later courtesy email Oct 7)
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2014 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
- Nov 2013: Executive Committee (Leila, Sarah, Anna, Carlos) will pursue a Servus credit card for EBC in the name of the Executive Director. June 2014: Anna will check with Servus to clarify what status of card application is...
- Feb 2014: Kristen/Policy Committee will incorporate petty cash max in future Financial policy.
- April 2014: Bernadette will get further details on procedure to submit a letter to AGLC or sign onto a group letter.
- April 2014: Anna will draft a response to patron about EBC current and proposed practices re inclusion/accessibility.
- April/Jun/Aug 2014: Chris Co will draft an Advocacy Coordinator description by April 25 and pass to Chris Chan for posting. Chris Co will send to Caylie for review. Final position will be posted to Advocacy listserv. August: Chris Co will send to Caylie before Sept meeting.
- May 2014: Anna will follow up with ATB and YCR2 with report/thank you for donations.
- May 2014: Executive Committee (Leila, Sarah, Carlos, Anna) will create an info sheet outlining the expense reimbursement process. (i.e. a policy or procedure for how to get reimbursements)
- May 2014: Doug will follow up with Bern re: Hazard Assessments and coordinate to get this done.
- June/Aug 2014: Caylie will write draft job description for bike builder, workshop instructor, admin position and send to staff. Chris, Coreen to present draft to volunteers by end of August 2014. August update: Need clarification about whether this is happening.
- June 2014: Leila will contact Micah and coordinate closing TD and RBC accounts.
- Aug 2014: HR Committee will meet with Coreen to discuss solutions to interpersonal issues at BW. Sept update: Coreen has been meeting with individuals. HR Committee could help with creating a more formal process for this would be useful.
- Aug 2014: Sarah, Doug will email for some quotes for First Aid training. Will check into getting hazard assessment/safety audits at our location at same time as training.
- Aug 2014: Carlos will ask Servus if we can get 2 deposit cards. Anna will make a deposit before sept. Sept update: Anna and other signatory will go to Servus to get deposit cards.
- Sept 2014: Steve will ask his contact (dad) about quote and sourcing used seacans.
- Aug 2014: Matt, Kristen, Chris Co will arrange the food, door prizes and volunteer awards, respectively by Sept board meeting.
- Sept 2014: Anna will contact Chris and BW listserv to get volunteers for Fri and Sat What The Bike event.
- Sept 2014: Caylie will send Leila a paragraph about Strategic Plan to include in Prez Report. Kristen will contact Carlos to ask if he can stay until Dec. Anna confirm with Ritchie CL whether they have wifi.
- Sept 2014: Leila, Anna, Chris Ch will attend Employment Standards Workshop for Non-Profits.
AB Bicycle Commuters Conference Report (5 min)
- EBC funded 4 registrations and board asked that they each provide a personal report-back on what they learned.
- Official report from the organizing committee to all sponsors to be provided by November 10th, 2014. - SH
- Discussion notes: move to November meeting
Submitting Charitable Status Application (10 min)
- When can we do this? What remains to be done? Let's git 'er done!
- Application folder
- Discussion notes: Doug is taking this on
- Jonathan asked what are the specific reasons for pursuing charitable status
- funding opportunities
- tax receipts for donations
- puts restraints on resources (time and money) we can spend on political advocacy
Annual Report (10 min)
- It was not possible to review the draft 2014 Annual Report in detail prior to the AGM as requested, so the board must review it for approval.
- via email Sept 30, Anna listed some suggested edits to be discussed by board.
- Discussion notes:
- We went through Anna's list to address changes.
- Revised copy will be available in two weeks - approve at next meeting.
Recruiting Board Members (10 min)
- Strategy for recruiting? Need to fill existing vacancies asap, ideally before board retreat.
- Discussion notes:
- recruiting by position/skill (see Caylie and Doug's document)
- volunteer bulletin board
- ads in community sections of papers, radio
- recruit people from specific groups (YEG bike coalition)
- campus sustainability group
- quorum is 5, board can be between 7 and 12 - we will only have 5 in January
- Action Items: All board members will engage at least three people/places in the next week and direct them to http://edmontonbikes.ca/about/board/candidates-2014/.
- If no one for November 5, then we will send out more urgent e-mails.
- Appointing interim board members is a possibility.
- Sarah will approach the one individual we discussed to offer a position, based on former applications and demonstrated commitment to the organization.
Servus Debit Card (10 min)
- We can get convenience cards for deposits
- Motion: To approve Servus deposit cards for our general account for Chris Chan, Jonathan Woelber, Steve Andersen, and Coreen. Moved by Bernadette, seconded by Carlos. Motion Carried.
YEG Bike Coalition's $1500 request (10 min)
- both the folks that came to speak tonight have been involved with our advocacy meetings and Strathcona Complete Streets
- we may not be able to support the full amount - recently approved $4000 enclosure for BikeWorks North
- this $1500 will be valuable and used very effectively
- Chris Chan believes this is "the key plank" for capital budget advocacy
- Motion: To support YEG Bike Coalition for their ask amount of $1500, to request a report after the end of the campaign, and to return any unused funds. Moved by Sarah, seconded by Leila. Motion Carried.
- Action Items: Steve will inform YBC as soon as possible, and will find out details of who should be given the $.
November Meeting +/- Board Retreat (10 min)
- Meeting space has been booked. Wed Nov 19 in room 113 Ed South. Sat Nov 22 in room 113 Ed South. Sun Nov 23 in room 213 (upstairs) Ed South.
- Decision: Do we have separate Nov meeting and board orientation/retreat?
- Decision: Do we plan for outgoing board members to attend retreat in full or specific time?
- Decision: Ad-hoc committee of 2-3 board members to organize the retreat.
- Sarah volunteered, but would like 2-3 people to help as a sounding board and help facilitate (Kristen, Bernadette, and Jonathan available to help; Alex available to help day-of)
- one day with outgoing and incoming board, + one day later for strategic planning
- if we don't meet on the 19th, we won't have a chance to meet potential new board members
- keep the Nov 19 date open to meet with board applicants (Jonathan has volunteered; will need others)
- Saturday - everyone present for board meeting (incoming, outgoing, and staff)
- Sunday - strategic planning for new board members and staff in the morning; orientation for new members
- food for retreat
- potluck Saturday, fend for yourselves Sunday
- maps and markers!
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: 3rd Wed is Nov 19 - save the date - may be used for meeting with new board candidates
- Location: room 113, Ed S is booked
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by:
Board Orientation & Retreat
- Date: Sat Nov 22 and Sun Nov 23 @ 10am-4:30pm
- Location: room 113 Ed S is booked
In Camera Session (30 min)
- Motion: To go in camera. Moved by Chris, seconded by Leila. Motion Carried.
- Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
- Staff LOA and Vacations (10 min)
- Staff contracts (10 min)
- Motion: To close the in camera discussion. Moved by Leila, seconded by Sarah. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Moved by Bernadette, seconded by Sarah. Motion Carried.