Board Minutes May 2017

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for May 2017

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: room 113 Education South, University of Alberta
  • Start Time: 6:30pm

Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!

Attendance

  • Meeting Chair: Jonathan
  • Minute-taker: Derek
  • Food by: Adrian
  • Board attendance: Dan, Michael, Jon, Jasmine, Derek, Jeremy, Mike, Adrian, Alexy, Geoff
  • Staff attendance: Chris
  • Regrets: Nancy
  • Absent:
  • Guests:

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Jon at 6:30 pm.

Logistics for Next Meeting

  • Date: June 12th
  • Location: Room 113, Education South
  • Chair: Jeremy
  • Minute-taker: Geoff
  • Food by: Adrian

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

MOTION
To approve this April meeting agenda, and the March 2017 minutes March Minutes, and commitee reports as presented below.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Jasmine
Aye No Abstain
10 0 0

Carried

President's Report - Jon

Treasurer's Report - Geoff

Executive Director's Report - Chris

  • [ED Report (Month) (Year)]

H.R. Committee Report - Nancy

Policy Committee Report - Dan

  • [Policy Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Strategic Planning Committee Report - Derek

  • [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Finance Committee Report -

  • [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Membership Committee Report -

  • [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
  • Add an agenda item to the June 12th meeting to discuss our financial situation in detail.

COMPLETED

Business Item 1: Transition of YCR2 from EBC to Goodwill (Jonathan 30 min)

  • Discussion notes:
    • The details of this motion are included in the President's report. The estimated date to complete the transition will be in the next 3-4 weeks. We will still retain 75% of Molly's time. EBC is still paying some liability insurance for the assets of YCR2. Chris will update our policy to reflect the current relationship between EBC and YCR2 (they will be removed from our insurance).
MOTION
To support and enable the transition of the YCR2 program and all YCR2 assets (specifically all YCR2 inventory of adapted bicycles, related parts and accessories and all funds belonging to or accruing to the YCR2 program) from Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society to Goodwill Industries of Alberta

Moved: Derek
Seconded: Jeremy
Aye No Abstain
10 0 0

Carried

Business Item 2 Employing Servus Electronic Funds Transfer for payments (Jonathan 15 min)

  • Discussion notes: If you would like to sign-up for e-transfers from EBC, please send the required information Jon. Jon has proposed two payment runs per month.
  • Request to receive payment via Electronic Funds Transfer [1]

New Business

New Business Item 1: Google docs training session (Geoff 15 min)

Monday April 3, 7:30pm -> 8:30pm

We covered off how to find files

  • search
  • star
  • locate in folder
  • add to my drive

Handle permissions

  • view permissions
  • set permissions
  • if you copy into a folder, it inherits the permissions of the folder

Sending messages when sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzZyUNq4OFThZVhseTNSVlpNVnc
  • Discussion notes:


New Business Item 2: Employee banked overtime hours (Jonathan 10 min)

  • Discussion notes:

At the Executive Committee meeting, there was a discussion to close the shops during the middle two weeks (2nd and 3rd week) of August to catch up on our banked overtime obligations to our staff (and to give our volunteers a reprieve as well). Otherwise, the shops are only closed from Christmas Eve to New Years. This is a quick-fix solution, if and after, the shops are closed we can review the outcome and set this mandatory break into our annual calendar. A separate discussion is how did we accumulate this much overtime and how do we prevent this from happening in the future. A shop shut-down could also further the recognition and appreciation of our staff and volunteers. It is an opportunity to possibly raise funds and interest of new volunteers in a similar manner as CKUA, etc.

MOTION
To close the shops during the middle two weeks of August to catch up on our banked overtime liability. The dates are to be decieded with staff input.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Michael
Aye No Abstain
10 0 0

Carried

New Business Item 3: Board Succession Planning (Nancy 10 min)

  • Discussion notes:

Our succession planning needs to look at recruiting a new President. Jon is coming up to the end of his 4-year term. Although, he would likely stay on as a director. Jon's last day as President is December 31st, 2017.

New Business Item 4: We are running a pretty serious deficit (Geoff)

  • Discussion notes:

Further to the Treasurer's report, this spreadsheet goes deeper in why/how we are in worse shape than last year. It is possible that our lower revenues are due to limited stock in the shops, but largely, the deficit comes down to increased spending in the Fall. spreadsheet

Adjournment

MOTION
To adjourn the meeting at pm.

Moved: Jon
Seconded: Jasmine
Aye No Abstain
10 0 0

Carried