Board Minutes May 2015

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes were approved at the June 2015 board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for May 27, 2015

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: Rm 113 Ed South, U of A
  • Start Time: 6:30pm

Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!

Attendance

  • Meeting Chair: Jonathan
  • Minute-taker: Geoff
  • Food by: Alexey
  • Board attendance: Nancy, Daniel, Alexey, Chris, Jonathon, Geoff
  • Staff attendance: Chris
  • Regrets: Michelle, Anna, Rachel, Alex, Adrian
  • Absent:
  • Guests:

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Jonathon at 6:40 pm.

Logistics for Next Meeting

  • Let's set the dates for our June, July and August Board meetings. Please have your calendars ready
  • Date: June 17, 6:30
  • Location:
  • Chair: Jonathon
  • Minute-taker: Geoff
  • Food by: Nancy


  • Date: July 15, 6:30
  • Location:
  • Chair: Geoff
  • Minute-taker:
  • Food by:


  • Date: August 19, 6:30
  • Location:
  • Chair:
  • Minute-taker:
  • Food by:

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

President's Report

Verbal Report and discussion: Treasurer Resignation

  • Motion: To completely remove Michelle Fisher from all EBC bank accounts at Servus Credit Union General account and Casino account and appoint Jonathan Woelber as interim treasurer and Online Administrator. Moved by Geoff, seconded by Nancy. Motion Carried.
  • Action Items: Jonathon put together wording for new board member recruitment to put in newletter Chris is about to send out

Treasurer's Report

Neil's April 2015 Financial Report submitted May 16 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qxfyxq9vF-oK6mEcQGl6D0uLgSLGyJG4NdY4zrUmaO0/edit?usp=sharing

Executive Director's Report for April 2015

Submitted By Chris Chan May 9 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iYGuru94Q3bxnXkVJzRrHO_6TK_htD0EeR9q7j9R2j4/edit?usp=sharing

Other Committee or Staff Reports

Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone log your 2015 board volunteer hours for the past month.
  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.

COMPLETED


Strategic Plan Update (10 min) - Jonathan

  • As discussed in April's meeting, we will now have a standing agenda item to check-in on our individual and group progress on Strategic Plan action items.
  • See general Board Retreat folder for more docs
  • Discussion notes:
    • Committee Chairs/responsible Directors have been contacted by Jonathan
    • Next steps: Set meeting dates with above to address and complete priorities identified in SP


  • Action Items: Alexey, Alex, Chris will meet/connect to evaluate EBC's continued support of programming (YCR2 and the Spoke in particular); and 2) apply for Charitable Status by June 30 2015 on (date).
  • Action Items: Geoff and Nancy will meet/connect to draw up an Executive Director performance plan by June 30 2015.
  • Action Items: Dan, Anna and Rachel will meet/connect to improve existing and drafting new TOR and Policies to clarify responsibilities and accountabilities for committees and board members by September 30 2015.
  • Action Items: Neil and Jonathan will meet/connect to conduct a complete EBC Budget Review by September 30. The review should be conducted after EBC Charitable Status and BWN lease issues have been addressed.

Member Consultation Night about EBC Applying for Charitable Status (10 min) - Alexey

  • Update on plans for this event which was post-poned from the May 6 date.
  • Plan to have an open presentation night (EBC membership) before the June Meeting
  • Discussion about whether we do a presentation to board / discussion before open house
  • We may actually have all the points / pros/cons ready for presentation
  • We continue are running a deficit budget, need to make a call on this
  • Between now and a presentation, board members should have the opportunity to review some of the pros/cons
  • Jonathon suggest meeting with Chris, discuss things, put together a mock presentation and circulate to board
  • Alexey has a draft that can be shared with Jonathon
  • Chris would suggest not sharing presentation with membership before the meeting, just the board

Action Items:

  • In this newsletter, Chris include advising about open house for discussing charitable status
  • Alexey and Jonathon will prepare a presentation, and share with board before the presentation date
  • June 16th, Jonathon and Les to coordinate to book a space


Conflict of Interest Policy Signatures (2 min)

Action Items: check with Anna to see if she has these, and ask directors that have not signed to sign

Financial Management Policy draft for approval (10 min) - Dan

  • Financial Management Policy - draft for review
  • Discussion notes:
    • Chris left a fair number of suggestions
    • Dan will respond to comments, and we will table this until next month

New Business

Asana Software Overview (10 min) - Chris Chan

  • view an intro video as background info
  • from NYT article: "Asana is task-based software, a shared to-do list for the company. Work is assigned and completed by a potentially unending set of teams created on the fly. Tasks can be named and assigned across the company, then shut down or subdivided as the work progresses. People can rank, or have others rank, which of their jobs need attention soonest. If a company wants, anyone can look in on anyone else’s work, offering help and criticism. 'We think of e-mail, in-person meetings, and whiteboards as our competition,' said Justin Rosenstein, Mr. Moskovitz’s co-founder at Asana."
  • Discussion notes:
    • What was the purpose of the presentation
    • Might the board want to use this for some projects as well
    • Right now the executive has access, and Geoff (for some projects he is working on)
    • Board members present didn't want a presentation on this

BWN Lease (10 min) Jonathan, Adrian and Chris Chan

  • Board needs to determine renewal term for BWN lease that expires August 31 2015.
  • Motion: To authorize Adrian Pearce to negotiate a new lease with the Bike Works North Landlord. Moved by Chris Corrigan , seconded by Nancy . Motion Carried.

Action Items: Jonathon to discuss lease negotiations with Adrian

Bike Works Volunteer shortages (20 min) Jonathan

  • Both Bike Works locations have been frequently understaffed during the last several weeks.
  • Discussion Notes:
  • Jonathon: Short of people for (every) shift, some shifts not open because we don't have enough volunteers
  • Chris: recent volunteers from orientations ... seeing them show up at shop. Not focused on reaching out to new volunteers so much, but getting existing and new volunteers onboard, want to stick around, and signing up for shifts
  • Les would be the point person on reaching out to new groups / outreach places for new volunteers - how do we present these volunteer opportunties as something good for them
  • Nancy: Where are we losing retention of current dedicated volunteers; how did the 'call to action' go
  • Chris: Marianne is working on that now - get feedback from volunteers; had some meetings for feedback already, got some good feedback
  • Jonathon: Bikeworks north meetings - some pointy sticks, airing of dirty laundry, but some bridges built.
  • Jonathon: estimation for timeline for processes in place, so we'll be ready to go out to source new volunteers and bring them online
  • Chris: timeline shifting - time on floor and working on Spoke initiatives. Have been rolling some things out and augmenting though. Have been working on things in phases
  • Jonathon: may want to think about whether a shortage in BW volunteers causing shop not to be open should take precedence over other items
  • Chris: first step to get a hold of where we have holes - people can cover shifts, but not when it is a last minute issue
  • Geoff: is this abnormal for this time of year
  • Chris: it has been a struggle for a number of years, which is why we wanted to get someone doing more volunteer coordination. We got a later start that we wanted to bring someone on board, and it is taking some time to get things in place
  • Nancy: thoughts on less shifts? Sunday one shop, Saturday the other? Change in model in how we look into hours?
  • Dan: should we poll people about this?
  • Chris: Sat Sun are the highest demands - were discussing whether we close a south shop on Sundays ... but 2nd/4th sundays don't have too many issues getting volunteers
  • Chris C: what about opening earlier - same number of hours but different hours - might that help with covering shifts?
  • Chris: peak time anywhere on Saturday is 1pm - getting patrons in the door isn't a problem - question is whether that is helpful for volunteers. Big issue is just quantity of volunteers
  • Jonathon: would it be helpful for a call for some volunteers to switch shifts?
  • Chris: regular volunteers become less regular in the summer - weekend trips, etc.
  • Geoff: consideration for next year - should we hire shift leads for weekend coverage during May-Sep peak
  • Nancy: if we get a strong volunteer recognition program, that may cover things
  • Jonathon: budget person in me concerned about additional costs
  • Nancy: once you start paying for a shift lead, you can't go back
  • Jonathon: The form that was put in, does it show up on the bikeworks calendar?
  • Chris: when you hit submit, it populates on bikesworks calendar


OHS (5 min)

  • Contact of Nancy interested in volunteering setting up an Occupational Health and Safety program starting in September.
  • Nancy will coordinate this starting in September

Adjournment

  • Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Moved by Dan , seconded by Alexey. Motion Carried.