Board Minutes May 2010

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

Edmonton Bicycle Commuters' Society
Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday May 6, 2010

Attendance

Voting: Neil Carey, Bill Sellers, Keith Hallgren, Erich Welz, Derek Pluim, Jason Ponto, Chris Chan

Non-Voting: Alexa Pendzich, Rob Drinkwater, Molly Turnbull, David Feldman, Angela Sanders

Regrets: Keegan McEvoy, Lauren Price

Agenda

Summary of Action Items

  • Jason will contact Michael Janz with details about Sustainable Alberta.
  • Chris and Alexa will prepare letter of interest in space at the Alberta Cycle Building.
  • Chris, Keith, and Molly will prepare by a subcommittee to conduct a risk assessment on the 118th Ave location.
Possible members: Chris, Kris (City of Edmonton), Keith, Molly, Alex (Norwood CL president), Bolstad.
  • Chris will contact Alex regarding Bike Porn. Verify and track occupancy, how it’s being marketed, clarify the rules are and consequences, verify fees (free).
  • Keith will liaison with Sports Central to acquire more bikes. Talk about referring us, and deliver some pamphlets.
    • Erich will do Activist Agenda, Kijiji, Craigslist.
    • Chris will contact Lauren about U of A bikes.
  • Chris will do a cheque to get a cheque signed and delivered to the ESO.
  • Derek will talk to Mark/Symphony about bike parking and security.
  • Chris round volunteers to facilitate Bike to the Symphony.

Minutes

Meeting called to order at 6:20pm.

  1. Introductions
  2. Room introduced. Alexa spoke about herself.

  3. Approval of Agenda
  4. Agenda approved without amendment.

  5. Approval of Minutes
  6. Motion to approve minutes from last 2 board meetings: passed unanimously.


  7. Old business
    1. Earth Day
    2. DEREK: Earth day certificates were made up. No ballot box, but certificates were ready. No certificate was given away because no ballots were received.

    3. Bike Friendly Business
    4. MOLLY: Bike friendly business—Karly knows more about this. JASON: “Sustainable Alberta” (I think) in Calgary appears to be doing something like this with award levels. They’re trying to get funding to do research and lead the program. BILL: Buildings are certified by LEED. They could be targeted/dovetailed with LEED certified buildings. ACTION: JASON will contact JANZ with details about Sustainable Alberta.


    5. Course Fees
    6. CHRIS: BikeWorks course fees have been set and sent out to BikeWorks list. See attached.

      CHRIS: EFCL – no word yet on Community League Day.

      CHRIS: CANBIKE – no progress here.

  8. Reports
    1. Acting Executive Director Report
    2. Treasurer's Report
    3. NEIL: Numbers aren’t complete. But we turned a profit in April and received ~$2000 from Culture and Community Spirit Grant.

    4. Partnership Report
    5. DEREK: Followed up with Carbon and Lucid Lifestyle. Lucid seemed most promising.

      Friends and affiliates link on website for bike-friendly businesses.

    6. Other
    7. MOLLY: Spoke as past president of EBC at Westmount memorial for killed Filipino cyclist.

  9. New Business
    1. Alberta Cycle Space
    2. From the Acting Executive Director's Report, several board members and members at large went to view space in the Alberta Cycle Building on 118th Ave. They report that the space was awesome.

      DAVID: Would like to see a risk assessment of moving to the new location.

      JASON: A subcommittee would be a good place to discuss this and present a report.

      MOTION: DEREK/JASON Motion to write a letter of intent to acquire space in the Alberta Cycle building on 118 Ave. Passed Unanimously.

      ACTION: Chris and Alexa will prepare letter of interest.

      ACTION: Risk assessment will be prepared by a subcommittee; Chris, Kris, Keith, Molly, Alex (Norwood CL president), Bolstad.

      ACTION: Keith will contact Alex.

      ACTION: Molly will contact Bolstad.

    3. Urban Racks
    4. CHRIS gave overview of situation. (see report)

      JASON: If this wasn’t bike racks, would we still be comfortable doing this?

      No concerns were raised, as the agreement would be non-exclusive.

      Stocking pamphlets at BikeWorks was discussed. But not intrusive, so the feeling was that this would be okay too.

      Consensus reached that we’re comfortable forming this relationship.

    5. Bike Porn
    6. BikeWorks facility is being used for screening Bike Porn movie. Chris and Neil agreed that our facility can be used for this, but without associating EBC’s name directly with it beyond the address.

      Discussion: Difference of gender vs. sexuality in terms of potential to generate controversy. Questions raised of good vs. bad publicity?

      The film is relatively tame (no hardcore) and respectful, although it has nudity and overt sexuality.

      Is there an admission fee?

      We can’t find any publicity for the movie beyond the date of May 16 (no location).

      We should have a statement prepared.

      How do we enforce the rules? The movie will be shut down if any of our rules are violated.

      MOTION: CHRIS/NEIL Move to support allowing BikeWorks to be used to screen bike porn according to set of rules (see report). Passed.

      ACTION: Chris will contact Alex to verify and track occupancy, how it’s being marketed, clarify the rules are and consequences, verify fees (free).

    7. Bike Sales
    8. There are no bikes available for sale at BikeWorks. ERICH: We need to make a concerted effort to pick up bikes. U of A, Reuse Fairs. Activist Agenda. KEITH: Sports Central. DAVID: Can we get in the paper? JASON: Kijiji.

      ACTION: Keith will liaison with Sports Central. Talk about referring us, and deliver some pamphlets. ACTION: Erich will do Activist Agenda, Kijiji, Craigslist. ACTION: Chris will contact Lauren about U of A bikes.

      KEITH: Contact the City about redirecting waste management bikes? ANGELA: Maybe Eco-Station drop-off partnership?

    9. ESO Event
    10. EBC/ESO Bike to the Symphony event. Potential joint media release. Community coordinator Mark H could do backstage tour. Space in the lobby for an info booth for tabling.

      Need to pay ESO for tickets sold.

      ACTION: Chris will do a cheque run.

      ACTION: Derek will talk to Mark/Symphony about bike parking. Derek will contact security company if symphony can’t do security. 7pm-11pm, anything under $200. We’ll pay an employee as a last resort.

      ACTION: Chris round volunteers to facilitate event.

  10. Discussion
    1. Lobby Document
    2. JASON: Working on lobby doc. If anyone is interested, please contact Jason.

    3. Membership Database
    4. KEITH: Membership database updating? CHRIS: The interface isn’t ready.

    5. Membership Benefits
    6. KEITH: Want to talk to bike shops about discounts. CHRIS: Coordinate through Derek.

    7. Future Volunteer Needs
    8. JASON: I’ll be stepping down from the board in September to move to Calgary to pursue PhD.

      ERICH: If you’re interested in volunteering at BikeWorks, please contact me to set up a summer schedule.

  11. In Camera Session
  12. CHRIS/JASON moves to move in camera.

    Passed.

    CHRIS/BILL moves that we go ex camera.

    Passed.

  13. Adjournment
  14. Motion to adjourn. Passed at 9:55pm.