Board Minutes March 2016
These minutes were approved at the April 2016 board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for March 16, 2016
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 6 Current & Completed Business
- 7 New Business
- 8 In Camera Session
- 9 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for March 16, 2016
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: room 113 Education South, University of Alberta
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Derek
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by: Nancy
- Board attendance: Nancy, Jon, Adrian, Jamsine, Rachel, Derek, Dan, Anna
- Staff attendance: Chris (641)
- Regrets: Geoff
- Absent: Kathy, Karl
- Guests: n/a
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Derek at 635pm.
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: Monday April 11
- Location: rm 113 Ed South
- Chair: Adrian
- Minute-taker: Derek
- Food by: Jasmine
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this March agenda, the Feb 2016 minutes, and reports as presented below. Moved by Jasmine. Seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
President's Report - Jon
- [President's Report (Month) (Year)]
Treasurer's Report - Geoff
- [Treasurer's Report (Month) (Year)]
Executive Director's Report - Chris Chan
- ED Report Jan 2016 - submitted by Chris Feb 17
- [ED Report Feb 2016]
H.R. Committee Report - Nancy
Policy Committee Report - Dan
The Policy Committee met in late February to go over a draft of Travel-specific policy which will deal with reimbursement of staff for EBC travel. Jasmine is looking into whether Pogo CarShare would suit our occasional in-town travel needs for moving cargo (bike parts, etc). A draft of the policy should be ready for April for Board review.
Strategic Planning Committee Report - Derek
- Strategic Planning Committee Report Feb 2016
- Need feedback on evaluation criteria for EBC programs (see report).
- Jon: committee would apply criteria to bike rental program as a start and determine outcomes. Once we have outcomes, we would change whatever needs to be changed and then go forward applying criteria to other programs.
- Anna: great criteria, but getting indicators/metrics for each criteria will be laborious. Which metrics (if any) do we currently track? Staff and volunteers can likely help gather info but may need more.
Recommendation: divide and complete the tasks, we are in a position to move soon, but we may need more ambitious time lines to complete all our tasks. Perhaps the staff should conduct the actual program evaluation in the slow season. The board can set the criteria to evaluate the program(s).
Our programs are not bleeding the budget. They will consume some of our non-financial resources, that time could be put towards higher returning activities. We need to focus more attention towards revenue generation.
Action Item: Strategic Planning committee to report back to the board with a timeline and a proposal of how we, as a committee, can bring more value to the organization.
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2016 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
- Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
- Dec 2015: Anna will book 30 min meeting before board meeting for Asana orientation by Exec.
- Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki.
- Oct 2015: Anna will post the board vacancy (Alexey/Rachel/Nathan) to website.
- Feb 2016: Geoff to get access online to Tangerine (ING) account where casino funds are cashed in the interim in order to view balance
- Feb 2016: Geoff to check with Neil Carey or Guy regarding BWN rent cheques.
- Feb 2016: Anna will post Executive, Policy, and HR TOR to wiki
- Feb 2016: All committee chairpersons to hold committee mtg and look through retreat action items. Update the board on plan and progress since last planning session.
- March 2016: add to next meeting too!
- Feb 2016: Anna to book Ed South for rest of 2016 for 2nd Monday.
- Feb 2016: Anna to create 2016 board volunteer hours doc
Funding for CSJ/STEP BWN Assistant (1 min) Nancy
- Email vote was circulated Feb 25 and closed Mar 2.
- Chris: Already have candidate in mind to hire due to the criteria from CSJ.
- Motion: To amend budget to allocate up to $1,000 to hire a BikeWorks Assistant through a Canada Summer Jobs application. Moved by Anna, seconded by Nancy. Motion Carried. 9 in favour, Kathy and Derek abstained.
- Action Items: Nancy will communicate the budget update with Chris asap.
Edmonton Bike Show (2 min)
- Derek attended EBS. Good crowd, approx 2900. EBC, YCR2 both tabled.
ED verbal report (10 min)
- Have hired Bike Builder, Keith.
- Adrian: Were there any concerns
- Casino (Dec30-31) was $81,000 deposited in bank.
- BikeWorks was extremely busy this past weekend. Early season!
- Talking about setting up a program for Newcomers and Refugees. Not a full build a bike program like the spoke. Want to help people find bike, maybe more like Women & Trans Program where time can be allocated for program at shop. May be helpful to recruit donations.
- jasper ave 109 St to 124 St
- currently only pedestrian focused, very little bike infrastructure in drafts
- Dan: 102 Ave cycle track may be impacting this? Chris: Pushing to show that 102 ave will have a completely diff purpose (i.e. high speed transport for bikes) versus Jasper Ave purpose (i.e. stopping to shop, etc). March 21 is open house at Oliver School.
- 109 St from jasper ave to 97 ave
- 40 ave former bike lane replacement infrastructure
- Provincial strategy meeting later this week
- April 15 Paths For People event
- jasper ave 109 St to 124 St
- Nancy: Any interest in re-forming the broader Advocacy Committee? Chris: Yes, if there was a diff chairperson. Challenge to get engaged, organized, informed chairperson.
- Derek: Could we expand some of the Advocacy topics into the Board Outreach Committee? Jon: Karl seems already engaged in many advocacy.
In Camera Session
- Motion: To go in camera. Moved by Nancy, seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
- Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
- Nancy (10 min)
- Chris (10 min)
- Motion: To close the in camera discussion at 7:15. Moved by Rachel, seconded by Nancy. Motion Failed/Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 7:29pm. Moved by Rachel, seconded by Dan. Motion Carried.