Board Minutes July 2012
These minutes were approved in the Board Minutes August 2012.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for July 9, 2012
- 2 Call to order
- 3 Approval of agenda
- 4 Approval of minutes
- 5 Next meeting
- 6 Reports
- 7 Old business
- 8 New business
- 9 In Camera
- 10 End of Meeting
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for July 9, 2012
- Time: 6:30
- Location: Room 101, U of A Law Building.
- Food by: Duncan
Call to order
- Call to order: 6.37
- In attendance: Paul, Micah, Bern, James, Chris Chan, Steph, Neil, Adam, Duncan, Lee, Chris Corrigan (tardy).
- Regrets: Alex C.
- Absent: Brett
- Chair: Bernadette
- Minute-taker: Micah
Approval of agenda
Steph: I move to approve; Duncan seconded. Carried.
Approval of minutes
- Some minor amendments to tone (Letters of Awesome --> reference letters. Replaced super-stoked with something more specific and descriptive.)
- Micah: I move to approve; Adam seconded. Carried.
- Date: Thursday 16 August 18.30
- Location: Law 101 (Micah to book)
- Food: Bern
- Chair: Bern
None this month, as he has not been taking the lead on any projects.
Full financials not yet available for this month. Revenue is down from last year at the South shop and is less than was hoped at the North shop, as was conveyed in Neil's recent email. Bikeology has asked for the $5000 we set aside for them.
Executive Director's Report
We ran through it. No remarkable discussion.
None this month, as Alex has been away.
Information Management Committee Report
Ran through it.
Action Items from Last Meeting
Carried forward from earlier meetings
- re: Stollery grant: new action item: produce new invoice: Neil and Paul.
- re: Nigerian Ass'n: continuous attempts at communication
- re: fence: assigned to Justin
- re: parts etc: done
- re: others: done
New action items from last meeting
Volunteer sign-up is going fine.
Use of BW space for functions
- this is a staff-type decision
- but maybe we should have a policy?
- Adam: last party was super-awesome but super-loud and doors open - should have policy for what's acceptable for noise levels etc.
- Draft policy - what should be in it? EBC rep present? Paid staff time? Deposit? Hours (end-by time)? Alcohol liabilities/insurance? (might exclude a lot of things we have been doing - but can get event insurance maybe? pricy) David Feldman might know about this. For future development; Steph will try to write up a draft.
- Lee: if this could be a potential source of revenue, do we want to advertise our space?
LRT bike racks/art
- Duncan has talked to 7(!) community leagues who are interested and will write letters of support.
- Has mtng scheduled with mayor's chief of staff and other VIPs: 24th. Will say that the project has much community support, etc.; let's make it happen!
- Regarding the LRT it seems that the existing footbridge near the Muttart will be removed.
Board development workshop progress review
- action item for all: Review Bern's notes: Board Development Workshop
Duncan: I move we go in camera; Adam seconded; carried.
End of Meeting
- Start thinking about AGM and its organisation
- 30 September 13.00-16.00
- Adam: can we try not to close BW? Published hours --> disappointing/inconveniencing patrons. Maybe have it in the evening? Or send out email for volunteers interested in keeping BW open at the time? It will be Women & Trans Day at both shops...
- There will be some vacancies due to board members leaving. Reminder: all directors are responsible for recruiting new directors. action item (for all): Recruit!
Steph: I move to end; Paul seconded; carried.