Board Minutes January 2017

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for January 9 2017

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: room 113 Education South, University of Alberta
  • Start Time: 6:30pm

Please RSVP to [board@edmontonbikes.ca] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!

Attendance

  • Meeting Chair: Jeremy
  • Minute-taker: Derek
  • Food by:
  • Board attendance:

Jon Dan Adrian Derek Nancy Jasmine Michael Jeromy Geoff

  • Staff attendance:

Chris

  • Regrets:
  • Absent:
  • Guests:

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Jeromy at 6:42 pm.

Logistics for Next Meeting

  • Date: February 13th
  • Location: Room 113 Education Building South
  • Chair: ?
  • Minute-taker: ?
  • Food by: ?

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

MOTION
To approve this (month) agenda, the (month)(year) minutes), and reports as presented below.

Moved: Geoff
Seconded: Jon
Aye No Abstain
9

Expression error: Unexpected < operator.

President's Report - Jon

Treasurer's Report - Geoff

Executive Director's Report - Chris

  • [ED Report (Month) (Year)]

H.R. Committee Report - Nancy

Policy Committee Report - Dan

  • [Policy Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Strategic Planning Committee Report - Derek

[read here]

Finance Committee Report - Geoff

  • we did not have a finance committee meeting

Membership Committee Report - Adrian (...?)

  • [Membership Committee Report (Month) (Year)]

Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone log your 2016 board volunteer hours for the past month.
  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
    • Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
  • Feb 2016: Geoff to get access online to Tangerine (ING) account where casino funds are cashed in the interim in order to view balance
  • May 2016: Nancy will share final copy of ABBCC Bike-way Design doc when available.
  • Jul 2016: Chris will put note in Asana for 2018 to review GWI-EBC agreement. Geoff will add notes into 2017 budget doc for 2018 $25k info for GWI lease. Jon to draft a written document with YCR2 Leadership Team to specify agreement terms, notably that YCR2 will fund raise the full $75,000 on behalf of EBC.
  • Oct 2016: Retreat coordinator add discussion of AGM to Nov planning retreat agenda.
  • Oct 2016: Nancy will strike HR ad-hoc committee to implement OH&S plan by December 31st.


COMPLETED

  • Derek booked meeting room 113 for Jan 9th (and Feb 13th, and March 13th)


Business Item 1 (__10 min)

  • Charitable Staus sub committee Update
  • Discussion notes:
    • update and next steps timelines
    • We are pursuing the viability of achieving charitable status under an educational pillar. But if we find that we can not support the education premise we may not continue further with the charitable status application. We will likely need some professional advice to prepare our argument and gauge our chances of success before we submit a second application. We need reasonable assurance from a reliable third party before resubmitting.

We may need to implement a more clearly outlined structure in our educational approach to Bikeworks.

MOTION

Moved:
Seconded:
Aye No Abstain

Expression error: Unexpected < operator.
  • Action Items: name will ____ by (date).

Business Item 2 (__ min)

  • Discussion notes:
    • You Can Ride 2 Not For Profit Status Update
    • YCR2 has clarified their intention to pursue charitable status. It is a need for their organization. We're looking for a board consensus on what we feel would be a good relationship moving forward. The issues arising are EBC paid staff using their time for YCR2 (however they have offered to offset this expense as required). Ultimately we should not sour relations with this excellent organization and we will continue to support them as best we can while moving to keep our respective finances separated. Many of our volunteers are currently shared and we are optimistic that this will not cause any conflicts among our volunteers who assist both EBC and YCR2.

There is some financial risk if they choose to hire a new Program Coordinator. Our costs are currently being subsidized by YCR2. Alternatively, we may need to hire a new Program Coordinator if they opt to hire Molly full-time.

Action Item: Jon to have a conversation with Molly regarding her preferences moving forward.


New Business

Item 1. New Brand/ Name for EBC

It appears that we do have a disconnect between the services we offer and the image we carry. However, the re-branding should done because it is a rebrand, not because of any events associated with us parting ways with YCR2. This is a large project and if we pursue it, we should do it for the right reasons and in the best interests of the greater community. The 2014 survey is recent enough to still give us a mandate for change. We should hold an open house and give our membership a chance to voice their opinions or concerns associated with a major rebrand. Our core volunteers may surprise us with a fierce preference to hold onto tradition.

Jon: I would make a suggestion that the Strategic Planning should map out the path forward and the sequence of events. Do we actually have to legally change our name if we change our operating name under the numbered company/organization. What would the financial implications be? What would the time resources be?

We could also keep the logo only change the text surrounding the bike image.

Action Item: Strategic Planning Committee to take the lead with laying out the next steps.


MOTION

Moved:
Seconded:
Aye No Abstain

Expression error: Unexpected < operator.
  • Action Items: name will ____ by (date).

Goodwill Space (10 min)

  • Discussion notes:

Goodwill has received their $75,000 grant. And YCR2 is now pursuing charitable status independent of EBC. The updated agreement has differentiated between the programs of EBC and YCR2, the new agreement appears (?) strictly focussed on the programs of YCR2 and may not permit access to EBC programs. Jon will seek clarification on this point.

The second issue, in the event that YCR2 becomes a separate legal entity the agreement becomes binding on both EBC and YCR2 as separate entities. We will want to establish an exit clause for EBC in case YCR2 dissolves are we are left liable for the matching $25,000 (x3 over the course of the contract for).

In Camera Session

MOTION
To go in camera.

Moved:
Seconded:
Aye No Abstain

Expression error: Unexpected < operator.
  • Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
    • Nancy (15 min)
    • Name (___ min)
MOTION
To close the in camera discussion.

Moved:
Seconded:
Aye No Abstain

Expression error: Unexpected < operator.

Adjournment

MOTION
To adjourn the meeting at 9:22 pm.

Moved: Jon
Seconded: Derek
Aye No Abstain
9

Expression error: Unexpected < operator.