Board Minutes February 2016
These minutes were approved at the March 2016 board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for February 17, 2016
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 6 Current & Completed Business
- 7 New Business
- 8 In Camera Session
- 9 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for February 17, 2016
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: room 113 Education South, University of Alberta
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Geoff
- Minute-taker: Dan
- Food by: Jonathan with an assist by Adrian
- Board attendance: Adrian, Nancy, Dan, Anna, Jonathan, Geoff, Derek, Karl
- Staff attendance: Chris, Coreen
- Regrets: Rachel, Jasmine, Kathy
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Geoff at 6:38 pm.
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: March 14th
- Location: Education South, room 113
- Chair: Derek
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by: Nancy
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this February agenda, the January 2016 minutes, and President's report as presented below. Moved by Anna Seconded by Nancy. Motion Carried.
President's Report - Jon
Treasurer's Report - Geoff
- Treasurer's Report Feb 2016
- Action Item: Geoff to get access online to Tangerine (ING) account where casino funds are cashed in the interim in order to view balance
- Action Item: Geoff to check with Neil Carey or Guy regarding BWN rent cheques.
- Motion: To close all RBC and TD bank accounts effective immediately, and transfer remaining funds to the Servus accounts. Moved by Jonathan. Seconded by Anna. Motion carried unanimously.
Executive Director's Report - Chris Chan
- ED Report 2016-01 - To be read and approved by board before March meeting
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2016 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
- May 2015: Geoff, Nancy will draw up an Executive Director performance plan by June 30 2015.
- Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
- Dec 2015: Anna will book 30 min meeting before Jan board meeting for Asana orientation by Exec.
- Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki.
- Oct 2015: Anna will post the board vacancy (Alexey/Rachel/Nathan) to website.
- 2016 Volunteer Hours spreadsheet copied from 2015, and updated for board members
- May 2015: Dan, Anna, Rachel will review existing TOR and draft new TOR and Policies to clarify responsibilities and accountabilities for committees and board members by September 30 2015.
- Dec 2015: Geoff update budget line item for professional fees.
- Dec 2015: Anna update budget doc for Bike Builder start & end date.
Terms of Reference for Committees (10 min)
- Dan has belatedly added three TORs for HR, Executive, and policy committees:
- Motion: To accept the above policies subject to grammar fixes. Moved by: Dan. Seconded by: Jonathan. Motion carried.
- Action Items: Anna will post Executive, Policy, and HR ToR to the EBC wiki
Change to Monthly Board Meeting Date (15 min) Geoff
- Discussion about future meetings being on a diff day than 3rd Wed of each month.
- Meeting Dates Pain and Possibility Poll
- Will change date to 2nd Monday of each month on a trial basis until next AGM in October.
- Action Item: Anna to book Ed South for rest of 2016 for 2nd Monday.
Committee Formation - Nancy(20 min)
- Discussion notes:
- We will be looking at page 4 and 5 and determine which directors will be on which committees given the scope of work that has been outlined during our previous two retreats. Would be good if people had an idea in advance which committees and/or projects they were wanting to work on.
- Nancy notes it was unclear as to the composition of the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Would like to see some grouping of the board so that some of the action items from the last board strategic planning session can be carried out.
- Jonathan would like directors to sign up for some responsibility under the three committees:
- Strategic planning: Derek (chair), Adrian, Karl, Rachel, Anna
- Human resources: Nancy (chair), Geoff, Adrian (secondary)
- Policy: Dan (chair), Jasmine
- Action Items: All committee chairpersons to hold committee mtg and look through retreat action items. Update the board on plan and progress since last planning session.
In Camera Session
- Motion: To go in camera. Moved by Geoff, seconded by Derek. Motion Carried.
- Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
- Geoff Hansen ( 30 min)
- Motion: To close the in camera discussion. Moved by Derek, seconded by Geoff. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 8:50 pm. Moved by Jonathan, seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.