Board Minutes February 2014
These minutes were approved at the March 2014 board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for February 18, 2014
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Welcome to Guests
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Last Month's Minutes, and Reports
- 6 New Business
- 7 Current & Completed Business
- 8 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 9 In Camera Session (5 min)
- 10 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for February 18, 2014
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: room 262, Education South, University of Alberta main campus
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Sarah
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Time keeper: Bernadette
- Food by: Chris Corrigan
- Board attendance: Sarah, Doug, Matt, Bernadette, Kristen, Caylie, Steve (6:40), Derek (6:40), Chris Corrigan (6:44-7:20), Anna (6:45)
- Staff attendance: Coreen (6:40)
- Regrets: Leila, Chris Chan
- Absent: n/a
- Guests: Carlos (board candidate for Treasurer), Phil (Spoke)(6:30-8)
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Sarah at 6:37 pm.
Welcome to Guests
- Location of food, water, washrooms, etc.
Approval of Agenda, Last Month's Minutes, and Reports
- January 2014 Financial report by Bookkeeper
Executive Director's Report
- ED December 2013 Report covering Dec 18-31, submitted Jan 21, therefore be reviewed at Feb meeting.
- ED January 2014 Report covering Jan 1-30, submitted Feb 10
- only approving Dec report (Jan to be approved at March meeting)
- BikeWorks Manager January 2014 Report covering Jan 1-30, submitted Feb 6
Strategic Planning Committee Report
Policy Committee Report
Motion: Bernadette moves to adopt agenda, minutes, and 5 reports. Matt seconds. Carried.
Overview of the spoke program with Phil - 6:45pm (25 min)
- EBC website info about the spoke: http://edmontonbikes.ca/services/youth-adapted-services/the-spoke/
- The spoke facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheSpokeEBC
- Internal folder for the spoke on google drive, notably the volunteer orientation presentation.
- Phil present to discuss The Spoke:
- Creating more community amongst volunteers, creating more connections with agencies and groups (incl. school system), new logos (with head badge)
- Be Brave Ranch - relationships are getting deeper than just talk about mechanics
- Looking forward to assessing his own time at The Spoke (ending in April 2014) and what's next - it will organically shift as it needs to.
- Ways to integrate more females? Not many come, even fewer make it all the way through the program - is there an alternative that will engage girls and change the dynamic of The Spoke?
- Trying to work with more high schools (McNally, Eastglen)- the last few sessions have been mostly junior high
- Coreen: how can the board support The Spoke?
- We like to keep a 1:1 ratio of volunteers to students; if the board could keep an ear to the ground about e-mails when someone is needed to fill in for sick volunteers - keep be on the ball in this way to make sure those gaps are filled
- Stay up to date with what's going on, and connect The Spoke with agencies that you know of if you think they could benefit each other.
- Phil will send us the handout that he has been giving out to the public
Adaptive Bikes (10 min)
- Request from Janine - see Financial Report analysis from Neil.
- What total is the program requesting?
- Do we need a formal decision around petty cash (total amount allowed)?
- Would the corporate credit card solve this? Card would be in ED's name so might be helpful.
- Electronic transfers? Have bank authorize transfers up to $100 or $200?
- Motion: To create a petty cash of $200 to staff who will record to who, why, how much, and initial this. Motioned by Steve. Seconded by Bernadette. Motion Carried.
- Action Items: Bernadette will ask Chris to determine how much the program uses in petty cash. Carlos and Caylie to investigate options and associated costs for Electronic Transfers with Servus. Kristen/Policy Committee will incorporate petty cash max in future Financial policy.
EBC name change (15 min)
- The name "Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society" (no apostrophe in our name, I just learned!) may not fully reflect what our organization does, or who it does it for. We have sent out a poll to our membership for suggestions for an updated name, and they include:
- Edmonton Bikes
- Bike Edmonton
- If the board can decide on a preferred name, we will need a special resolution for members to vote on the name change. Perhaps this could be done at the opening of BWS?
- Discussion notes:
- Leila emailed a motion: To table the issue until the Strategic Planning committee has gathered enough info to bring the proposal to the board.
- Caylie suggested that the committee could possibly bring something forward to the board in 6 months from now.
- Sarah notes we dont have membership input at this time.
- Doug noted that in Strategic Planning committee it was decided that a Special meeting would be possible to allow membership to vote on this issue.
- Coreen expressed great concern about tying a name change decision with the BWS re-opening. It is also way too rushed.
- Bernadette: we could make a proposal for the 2014 AGM. Could only make a small run of printed promo material now.
- Caylie suggests that board members go talk to members and volunteers (especially long time members and volunteers) to gather feedback on what they think of a the current name and possible future names.
- Bernadette: Could revisit the topic in July.
- Motion: To table the issue until July 2014. Motioned by Kristen. Seconded by Doug. Motion Carried.
- Action Items: Strategic Planning Committee will continue to gather info to bring a proposal to the board in July.
Ad-hoc volunteer appreciation committee
- Anna: ad-hoc Volunteer Appreciation Party committee? Before or after BWS opening? Last event was closing of BWS shop in Oct.
- Coreen: something separate for BWN volunteers would be really appreciated.
- Steve: After the BWS opening would be less crazy. Coreen: BWS is soft opening late March, Grand Opening mid April.
- Action Items: Sarah, Bernadette, Doug will be on ad-hoc committee. Matt is interested in knowing specific roles when they are determined.
Policy Development and Implementation policy
- Kristen reviewed the proposed policy.
- Matt: are all policies public? Kristen: Yes. Can't think of any type of policy that would not be shared publicly...
- Motion: To approve the Policy Development and Implementation policy as presented (with alphebetical definitions updates). Motioned by Kristen. Seconded by Doug. Motion Carried.
Casino (2 min)
- Reminder from Bernadette: If you are available, please let me know. I have a few shifts left to fill. Also, I could use last minute flex volunteers to fill emergency vacancies.
Vote on new director (10 min)
- Two Treasurer applicants: Carlos, Jonathan
- Discussion notes:
- Carlos introduced himself and why he is interested in the position. Caylie reviewed Jonathan's qualifications and shared the discussion she had with him over the phone.
- We are very grateful to both nominees for their interest and enthusiasm!
- Motion: To appoint Carlos as an interim board member. Motioned by Bernadette. Seconded by Matt. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To name Carlos Bautista signing authority and online account admin as EBC Treasurer for Servus General and Servus Casino accounts. Motioned by Caylie. Seconded by Doug. Motion Carried.
- Action Items: Caylie, Carlos, Neil will meet to review treasurer role and get signing authority names updated.
- Action Items: Anna will set up Carlos' EBC accounts.
- Action Items: Carlos, Derek, Anna will meet to do a mini-orientation.
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2014 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Anna will add Carlos to the doc
- Oct 2013: Anna to make record of what to do for next AGM.
- Nov 2013: Executive Committee (Leila, Sarah, Anna, Meghan) will pursue a credit card for EBC by December 1st, in the name of the Executive Director, with Servus Credit Union. In Progress.
- Nov 2013: Chris Corrigan to change email name back to "Chris Corrigan" (not "EBC Board Mail"). In Progress.
- Dec 2013: Sarah will create a google doc for charitable status barriers & needs (strategic planning collaboration). In Progress.
- Jan 2014: Board to take pics and write bios for website.
- Anna to complete this! Caylie to send form to Carlos
- Jan 2014: Committee chairs to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar. Ongoing.
- Jan 2014: Kristen present proposed bylaw change at AGM 2014.
- Jan 2014: Caylie will take on paper work to apply and go forward with the CSL internship. Sarah is interested in leading with any mentorship that is involved. COMPLETED - application submitted Jan. 24, 2014 - matching process will occur June/July 2014, and projects will not begin until January 2015
- Jan 2014: Board to review and comment on proposed draft Policy Development and Implementation by Wed Jan 29 so Policy Committee can move forward.
- Jan 2014: Steve will offer board position to Derek via email this week and update board
- Jan 2014: Meghan [Caylie as interim treasurer] will look at options for splitting the Winter Cycling Congress budget into various line items by Feb meeting. Our bookkeeper recommends keeping it in the Staff Developement line.
- Jan 2014: Anna to buy lunch for 2 facilitators at board development workshop.
- Jan 2014: Chris Chan will get quote for roll shutters. See Jan report.
- Jan 2014: Chris Chan will submit an updated budget to CFEP.
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: Wed March 19
- Location: room 262, Ed South, U of A
- Chair: Bernadette
- Minute-taker: Doug
- Food by: Leila
- Regrets: Anna (that day), Kristen (all week), Caylie (all month), Chris Corr
In Camera Session (5 min)
- Motion: To go in camera. Motioned by Sarah. Seconded by Doug. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting. Motioned by Sarah. Seconded by Bernadette. Motion Carried.