Board Minutes December 2015
These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for December 16, 2015
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 5 Guest Speaker: Save Edmonton's Downtown Footbridge (10 min) Eric
- 6 Guest Speakers: Paths for People (10 min) Conrad and Anna H
- 7 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 8 Current & Completed Business
- 9 New Business
- 10 In Camera Session (15 min)
- 11 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for December 16, 2015
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: Room 113, Education South, University of Alberta
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [email@example.com] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Jonathan
- Minute-taker: Geoff
- Food by: Nathan
- Board attendance: Nathan, Dan, Rachel, Jasmine, Kathy, Jonathan, Geoff, Karl, Anna (650)
- Staff attendance: Chris Chan, Coreen (710)
- Regrets: Nancy, Adrian
- Guests: Eric, Anna H, Conrad
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Jonathan at 6:45 pm.
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this December agenda, the October 2015 and November 2015 minutes, and reports as presented below. Moved by Rachel, seconded by Derek. Motion Carried.
President's Report - Jon
- [President's Report (Month) (Year)]
Treasurer's Report - Geoff
- Financial Report December 2015 - submitted by Geoff Dec 16
Executive Director's Report - Chris Chan
- Executive Director Oct 2015 report - submitted Nov 7 by Chris
- Program Coordinator Oct 2015 report - submitted Nov 6 by Molly
- Executive Director Nov 2015 report - submitted Dec 11 by Chris
H.R. Committee Report - Nancy
- [H.R. Committee Report (Month) (Year)]
Policy Committee Report - Dan
- In brief: the Policy Committee met on November 26th to orient new members (Jasmine and Nathan) as well as discuss an outline for a travel and expense policy. A draft policy on covering expenses and travel will be completed at the next meeting in January.
- All TORs except Advocacy are complete in draft and will be presented to the board in January. The committee needs clarification if the Advocacy Committee is active, or activities are ad hoc via the ED.
Strategic Planning Committee Report
- [Strategic Planning Committee Report (Month) (Year)]
Guest Speaker: Save Edmonton's Downtown Footbridge (10 min) Eric
- This presentation if for information only. Advocacy decisions are delegated to the ED for actioning.
- savethefootbridge.com and facebook.com/savetheyegdtfootbridge/
- In Nov, Eric reached out to EBC. SEDF wrote a report summarizing the concerns about the Southeast LRT route.
- Chris wrote: "I've reviewed this report in detail. We still have to formulate our own position. We'd certainly favour saving the footbridge if possible but LRT route options are beyond our core expertise."
- SDF: "We are still urging the City to alter the river crossing portion of the Valley Line, and also to explore options such as Bus Rapid Transit. We have gotten the support of five community leagues (Riverdale, Rossdale, Boyle Street, Grovenor, and Belgravia.) It would be with the hope EBC would support either a review of the Valley Line, or an alternative route."
- Requesting (H) EBC write a letter to councillors and Brian Mason to find a way to keep the bridge when constructing the LRT
- (S) letter to councillors that the river valley be respected
- Why ask EBC? Believe that goals of EBC and savethefootbridge align. City did a count (for a week) and found approximate 10,000 used the bridge 35% were cyclists
- They would close the bridge during construction (2-3 years) then a pedestrian path would exist under the bridge
- Key concern: Find a way to put in the LRT without disturbing the parks
- Related group lobbying against this - eruptyeg.com
Guest Speakers: Paths for People (10 min) Conrad and Anna H
- In 2014 the Edmonton Bicycle Coalition organized photo mosaic campaign with “I BIKE YEG” signs, wrote some letters, Reboot Whyte for collision data walking and biking on whyte.
- Decided to get a bit more organized and official organization under Societies Act 3 weeks ago
- Now organizing as Paths for People - http://pathsforpeople.info
- Organizing big event for April 15-16 called City For Life. Gil Penolosa confirmed to speak (see TedTalk 8-80 Cities, brother is mayor of Bogota, Columbia). Pursuing Christine Nezbit (canada speed skater). Workshop of 40 people.
- 2 months prior to the April event, will release a map with potential bike walk map corridors and ask for feedback
- Paths For People is asking EBC for:
- bootstrap money for this initiative (Paths for People) - $1500 one time only for logo design and initial seed money
- event sponsorship (City for Life)
- In 2014 EBC donated $1400 for the I Bike YEG photo mosaic campaign
- In 1 yr from now, Paths For People would like 1 staff person and sustainable funding model. Looking to be a peer/sister organization to EBC :)
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: Wed January 20, 2016
- Location: TBC
- Chair: Dan
- Minute-taker: Derek
- Food by: Karl
- Jasmine has regular commitment on 3rd Wed of month.
- Action Items: Anna to book January meeting space at UofA. Geoff to create 2016 availability survey for all board to see if diff monthly date works better for Feb-Dec.
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2015 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
- May 2015: Geoff, Nancy will draw up an Executive Director performance plan by June 30 2015.
- May 2015: Dan, Anna, Rachel will review existing TOR and draft new TOR and Policies to clarify responsibilities and accountabilities for committees and board members by September 30 2015.
- Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
- Action Items: Anna to add 30 min meeting for exec and Chris prior to Jan board meeting to do Asana orientation.
- Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki.
- Oct 2015: Anna will post the board vacancy (Alexey/Rachel) to website.
- Oct 2015: Jon will follow up with bookkeeper candidates and offer the contract.
- Oct 2015: Anna will follow up with Chris to complete final edits to Annual Report and post publicly.
- Nov 2015: Jon, Geoff will update Servus bank account signing authorities (remove Neil, add Geoff & Gemma).
~ Karl left for ABBCC conference call 8:00pm ~
Charitable Status Update (2 min)
- Our application was rejected, as we need to file a number of papers with the original stamp from corporate registry
- Jonathon will collect the appropriate papers and resubmit
Rusty's Rules 101 (10 min) Anna
- Overview of EBC's meeting process
- Overview of Rusty's Rules, an adaptation of Robert's Rules of Order
- Time-saving practices
Code of Conduct Policy (2 min) Anna
- Signatures for remaining board and staff needed
Strategic Plan for 2016 (25 min) Jon TABLED TO FEB
- Review of board retreat outcomes
- Review of committee goals and timelines
- Discussion notes:
- Action Items: Jasmine will type up Board Retreat notes.
~ ~ Break 8:12-8:25 ~ ~
Board Resignation (2 min)
- Nathan is moving to Calgary, and is resigning from the board effective Dec 17th, 2015
- Motion: To acknowledge Nathan Treloar's resignation from the EBC board, effective Dec 31, 2015. Moved by Jon, seconded by Anna. Motion Carried.
Paths For People Seed Funds
- Motion: EBC donate $500 to Paths For People. Made by: Kathy. Seconded: Derek. Motion Carried. 8 for, 0 against
- Action Items: Chris will contact P4P to send cheque (who to write to?), discuss EBC recognition, and ask for outline for a budget going forward.
~ Rachel departed 8:30pm ~
Financials 101 (20 min) Jon
- One main responsibility of board members is the financial oversight of the organization. To do this effectively, we will review a typical monthly financial report (prepared by our contract bookkeeper) and note some of the key points to notice.
- eg. August 2015 Financial Report by Neil
- eg. Sept & Oct 2015 Financial Report by Gemma
- Neil's board retreat presentation from 2013 - see page 5-6 here
- Balance Sheet
- financial position of the position at a point in time
- tells us what we have in cash, assets, owing (accounts payable), other liabilities, net position (equity) at a single point in time (vs over a period of time)
- 3 parts: assets, liabilities, equity
- Assets =
- Current assets = cash on hand, accounts receivable (square, paypal, etc), unrestricted cash, restricted cash (casino funds can only be paid for specific things),
- Non-current assets ($ tied up somewhere, not likely to convert to cash in short term) = safe, trailers, etc
- Liabilities = accounts payable (things that we are expecting to receive invoices for), wages payable (eg vacation accrued), adapted bike deposits (YCR2), bike rental deposits, deferred grant revenue ($ committed to specific things approved by grant), deferred casino revenue
- Equity = retained earnings and current earnings (connection to Income Statement), total equity
- Month To Date Income Statement
- Revenues and expenses for a period of time.
- EBC revenues = memberships, donations, shop fees, part sales, bikes sales, rentals, course fees, mobile mechanic fees, casino revenue (spread out over 18 months from our lump sum from each casino), interest
- EBC expenses = wages, EI, payroll services, benefits, board/staff development, rent, utilities, building repairs and maintenance, shop costs, amortization (trailers), instructor fees, volunteer honoraria, program materials, etc.
- Bottom line of Income Statement connects to the Balance Sheet. Net profit or loss is on Income Statement will be Equity on Balance Sheet.
- As board members, we review the Month To Date against the Budget that we created for the fiscal year (Sept 1 2015 to August 31, 2016). Should consider why and where there are variances in the actuals vs budget.
- We should be looking at why and where we are under or over budget each month. How close are we to budget? If relatively close to budget, that is a pretty good thing. Next, look at absolute numbers.
- Year To Date Income Statement
- Geoff will make a motion in Jan about increase of 10 hr added for each Coordinator.
- Must update bank charges = $500 for professional fees
- Derek: How do we generate a budget each year? Jon: In June-Aug, board and bookkeeper and ED look at previous year, current projects, changes to overhead costs such as rent/utilities/etc, inflation (wage costs), staff costs, etc.
- Jon: deferred casino revenue does not balance with what we have in casino account… must ask Neil why there is a discrepancy.
- Jon: each month on the financial reports, please review these type of details prior to the meetings and ask questions about discrepancies, ideas to apply more efficient use of resources
- Action Items: Anna add Geoff's motion to Jan agenda. Geoff update budget line item for prof fees.
~ Dan departed 9:00pm ~
Budget Amendment re: contract staff start date (10 min) Anna
- During our FY2016 budget development, board discussed Bike Builder position start date and end date for 2016 which impacts the budget allocation for that position. In Aug, we decided to approve the BB starting Feb 2016 to Oct 2016. In Sept, an error in minutes which approved BB April to Aug. This was translated into the budget.
- See FY2016 Budget
- Chris suggests not changing the budget, but just shifting the dates from Feb 2016 to end of June 2016. Can apply for further funding in spring if deemed necessary.
- Action Items: Anna update budget doc.
~ Karl returned 9:10pm ~
GST Tax Exemption (5 min) Jon
- Chris will apply for a GST number and contact the CRA for clarification on our GST status.
~ Kathy departed 9:15pm ~
ABBCC report (1 min) Karl
- Alberta Bicycle Commuters Conference is tentatively scheduled for Sept 16-18 2016. Would be timed with the Project For Public Spaces conference in Vancouver Sept 12-15.
- Last year, ABBCC budget was $11,000. Hoping to double for 2016. Would like to hire a Coordinator
- Looking to apply for Jan 31 AB traffic safety grant.
~ Nathan, Chris, Coreen departed 9:20pm ~
In Camera Session (15 min)
- Motion: To go in camera. Moved by Anna, seconded by Geoff. Motion Carried. 6 for, 0 opposed.
- Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
- Geoff (10 min)
- Motion: To close the in camera discussion. Moved by Derek, seconded by Geoff. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 9:35pm. Moved by Derek, seconded by Geoff. Motion Carried.