Board Minutes August 2016

From EBC
Jump to: navigation, search

These minutes are not yet approved. They are scheduled for review and approval at the upcoming board meeting.

EBC Board Meeting Minutes for August 8, 2016

Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.

  • Location: room 113 Education South, University of Alberta
  • Start Time: 6:30pm

Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!

Attendance

  • Meeting Chair: Karl
  • Minute-taker: Anna
  • Food by: Nancy
  • Board attendance: Dan, Nancy, Jon, Anna, Geoff, Jasmine, Karl, Derek
  • Staff attendance: n/a
  • Regrets: Dan, Rachel, Adrian
  • Absent:
  • Guests: n/a

Call to Order

  • Meeting called to order by Karl at 6:40pm.

Logistics for Next Meeting

  • Date: Monday September 12
  • Location: Discussion whether to continue meeting at UofA or somewhere else?
    • Continue with U of A? Need current UofA student to log in to use projector/screen.
    • Red Ribbon Building (111 ave / 97 st)?
  • Chair: Jon
  • Minute-taker: Dan
  • Food by: Karl
  • Regrets: Anna
  • Action Items: Anna to book U of A facility for Sept-Dec

Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)

MOTION
To approve this August agenda, the July 2016 minutes with amendment of attendance, and reports as presented below.

Moved: Jon
Seconded: Anna
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0

Carried

President's Report - Jon

Executive Director's Report - Chris


Current & Completed Business

Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)

  • Everyone log your 2016 board volunteer hours for the past month.
  • Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
  • Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
  • Jul 2015: Jon, Nancy, Anna, Geoff, Chris Chan will meet to get an orientation and see if Asana can be used for board tasks/to do list too
  • Dec 2015: Anna will book 30 min meeting before board meeting for Asana orientation by Exec.
  • Sep 2015: Anna to post final financial policy to wiki and (Feb 2016) all new TOR (Executive, Policy, HR) to wiki
  • Feb 2016: Geoff to get access online to Tangerine (ING) account where casino funds are cashed in the interim in order to view balance
  • Apr 2016: Jon, Geoff connect regarding the budget allocated for the Program Coordinator. Regardless if we have charitable status or not, we should know what our budgetary constraints are.
  • Apr 2016: Derek & SP Committee to share program eval criteria with ED/staff to begin testing.
  • May 2016: Geoff will look into putting Simply back ups into Google Drive.
  • May 2016: Nancy will share final copy of Bikeway Design doc when available.
  • May 2016: Jon, Geoff, Derek, Adrian, Chris will meet as ad-hoc subcommittee about membership in May.
  • Jun 2016: Geoff to sort out how do EFT for more prompt payment to volunteers, and make sure Gemma can do this. Treasure still to approve
  • Jul 2016: Chris will put note in Asana for 2018 to review GWI-EBC agreement. Geoff will add notes into 2017 budget doc for 2018 $25k info for GWI lease. Jon to draft a written document with YCR2 Leadership Team to specify agreement terms, notably that YCR2 will fund raise the full $75,000 on behalf of EBC.
  • July 2016: Geoff will go to Servus with Heather to complete her sign-on for YCR2 account signing and online view-only access.

COMPLETED

  • July 2016: All board send budget related comments or ideas via email to Executive and Chris by end of July.


New Business

AGM Planning (10 min) Anna

  • Need ad-hoc committee to help organize:
    • Board member nominations, one-on-one meetings/intros, prep bios, voting slate for balllot...
    • venue rental (south side this year - options: La Cite Francophone, Ritchie Hall, Blush Lane 3rd floor community room, etc.)
    • website info, fb event
    • food, juice, tea, coffee
    • reusable dishes, cutlery, cups (Earth's Gen Store lends these for no cost from Whyte Ave location)
    • member package (agenda, voting slip, bylaws, 2015 minutes, 2016-7 proposed budget, board member job description, voting ballot, maybe annual report, stickers, etc)
    • wayfinding signage for venue
    • bike racks?
  • Discussion:
    • Derek, Dan, Nancy, Jasmine, Anna will be ad-hoc committee.
    • Derek: What budget do we have for venue? Anna: Included in next year budget each year. Have been $0-250...
  • timeline for annual report prep:
    • Aug 8 vote on 2016-7 budget
    • Aug 15 finalize 2016-7 budget
    • reports drafted and circulated for Sept 1 (before Sept long wknd)
      • President's Annual Report (governance and strategic overview of year)
      • Treasurer’s Annual Report (financial overview)
      • ED's Annual Report (operations overview - staff and volunteers, programs, services, events, partnerships, etc)
    • Sept 12 approve reports (content) at board meeting
    • Sept 19 finalize format of Annual Report and circulate for review
      • proposed 2016-7 budget
      • pictures!
    • Sept 26 post web version and print copies for AGM
    • Oct 2 AGM
  • Discussion:
    • Jon: How many printed copies? Anna: A few available at front table, mostly referred to screen PDF.
    • Jon: Advertising the event? Anna: webpage news post, fb event, and included in newsletter.
    • Geoff: Should add amendments to Bylaws that we have discussed regarding board member term changing from max 4 years to max 4 years on the Executive. Nancy: Should we approve a motion at the board table as a recommendation for the AGM? Dan: Yes, this would be good context for members so see that board is in support. Derek: Would this theoretically allow someone to stay on the board for 30 years? Anna: Yes, if we only limit Executive term, would allow non-Exec to stay on for any length of term. Would have to include a separate amendment or addition about general board member term length (eg. 8 years) if we are interested in limiting this. Jon: Current bylaws seem to allow for 1 year “vacation” from board member but then return. Karl: Would need a draft of Special Resolution for change to Bylaws within 21 days of the AGM on Oct 2, i.e. Sept 11.
  • Action Items: Dan will draft a motion for email vote prior to Sept 11.

FYI - Community Garden Bike Tour (5 min) Anna, Jasmine

  • Since 2013, EBC and Sustainable Food Edmonton have partnered to host 1-2 community garden bike tours each summer.
  • Saturday August 20
  • Gardens and bike route: https://goo.gl/maps/d2HUU4mxsCA2. Completed a route test ride on August 2.
  • Would like board help to promote on social media and word of mouth. Also need 1-2 mechanic volunteers to ride with basic repair kit in case of minor issues.
  • Discussion notes:
    • Derek is interested to join :)


In Camera Session

MOTION
To go in camera.

Moved: Dan
Seconded: Nancy
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0

Carried
  • Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
    • Draft FY 2017 Budget (30 min) Jon
MOTION
To close the in camera discussion.

Moved: Anna
Seconded: Jasmine
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0

Carried

Adjournment

MOTION
To adjourn the meeting at 9:16 pm.

Moved: Jasmine
Seconded: Derek
Aye No Abstain
7 0 0

Carried