Board Minutes April 2015
These minutes were approved at the June 2015 board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for April 22 2015
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 5 Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- 6 Current & Completed Business
- 7 New Business
- 8 In Camera Session (10 min)
- 9 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for April 22 2015
Board meetings are open to the EBC members and the public.
- Location: Rm 113 Ed South, U of A
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [[email protected]] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Alex
- Minute-taker: Anna
- Food by: Anna
- Board attendance: Alex, Michelle, Rachel, Nancy, Anna, Jon (by phone-in), CHris Co (720)
- Staff attendance: Coreen (6:40), Chris Ch (6:47)
- Regrets: Adrian, Alexey, Geoff, Dan
- Guests: n/a
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Alex at 6:50 pm.
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: Wed May 22??
- Nancy, Rachel, Alex unavailable
- Action Items: Rachel will send out Doodle
- Location: Rmm 113 is booked
- Chair: Jon (unless it is on May 19)
- Minute-taker: Anna (unless its May 25-29)
- Food by: Rachel / Michelle
Approval of Agenda, Minutes, Reports (5 min)
- Motion: To approve this April agenda. Moved by Anna, seconded by Nancy. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To approve 2 reports as presented below. Moved by Nancy, seconded by Michelle. Anna abstains. Motion Carried.
- Financial Report March 2015 - submitted Apr 14 by Neil
Executive Director's Report
- ED Report March 2015 - submitted Apr 10 by CC
Action Items: Anna add approval of March minutes to May's agenda.
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Everyone log your 2015 board volunteer hours for the past month.
- Everyone sign reports that you have reviewed each month.
- Committee Chairpersons to post all committee meetings to EBC calendar - public ones go on "EBC Events", other committee meetings go on "EBC Internal" calendar.
Board Resignation and Recruitment (5 min)
- Chris Haworth confirmed via email to Jon his resignation from the board effective March 2015.
- Nancy: Should we recruit new member now or wait until AGM?
- Could post application now and if applications come in now, we could interview the individual immediately and appoint them for interim position until AGM.
- Action Items: Anna will create new website application for 2015 board. Board will share with contacts and review applications prior to board meetings; applicants will be invited to meetings to be guest or interview.
Strategic Plan Update (10 min) - Nancy
- Chris Ch, Alex, Geoff, Nancy met last week
- Compared board strategic plan from March retreat and staff team plan. Quite similar!
- Chris Ch will add:
- Project Management doc lines up quite closely with the board doc
- Chris' doc had more topics, so team will now go back to prioritize and decide what will be possible to achieve. Chris doesnt expect any drastic changes.
- Chris has shared the board SP with the staff team.
- Jon: Next step is for Prez to go through SP and meet with each board member or committee to come up with Implementation Plan for each topic.
- Nancy: Chris will then set performance mgmt plan for staff on these topics, and board will set Chris' performance mgmt plan (indicators) - to do by HR Committee.
- Action Items: Anna will add SP check in as standing item in future agendas.
Reporting (5 min)
- Nancy: As we've asked Chris to submit reports in a timely manner, board needs to be diligent about reading and reviewing with comments in an equally timely manner and sign off. If staff reports due 5th day of each month, then board review/comments due within one week (12th of each month). This would allow sufficient time for all discussion on reports to be done at least 1 week prior to board meeting on the 3rd Wed of each month (or whenever).
- Chris Ch: My reports now include an overview of what each employee is accomplishing. We are having weekly team meetings and using a new Project Mgmt software to track our projects. This info is then compiled into my report. This should give the info the board wants and needs, but please let me know if there are pieces of info that should be added.
- Nancy: Would like to be as 'admin lean' as possible so I'm ok with 1 report if that simplifies the process.
- Rachel, Alex: As long as its balanced reporting.
- Coreen: Dont want to assign myself writing work, but Chris and I both work full time so he doesnt necessarily include my info in his report. Is getting 1 paragraph in Chris' report sufficient or are my 4 page reports useful?
- Nancy: Do staff see/review Chris' report before submitting it? Chris: Yes, I sent it to them to review. Nancy: This would help ensure that details from each staff are being complete.
- Alex: Do we have a monthly report/newsletter to members? Rachel: Yes, might go to your "promotions" tab in EBC Gmail account.
- Coreen: Reports also were used in the past for institutional memory... future staff members would be able to see what staff were doing, how it was done, etc. Anna: I think the content of Coreen's reports are super valuable, esp for someone who is not physically in the shops. Wonder if these monthly summaries would be useful for shop volunteers and of course board could then read if they feel it is helpful to inform their input for board decision. Jon: This would be a great way to include a 'thank you' to particular volunteers each month.
- Motion: To impose a deadline for board members to review/comment/sign staff reports within 1 week of report submission (5th of each month). Moved by Rachel, seconded by Michelle. Motion Carried.
Charitable Status (5 min) - Michelle
- Public consultation was scheduled for May but Alexey and Michelle have not met yet to organize.
- Post-poned until June.
Agenda Building (5 min)
- Nancy: board meeting agendas have been not very complete or timely lately. Who is responsible for building the agenda each month?
- Anna: From Board Chairperson job description: "The duties of the board chairperson shall include: 1) Facilitate the drafting of the agenda with input from the President and the Secretary; 2) Allocate time for each agenda item; [...]"
- Rachel: Perhaps this should be maybe at the same time as the new deadline to review staff reports...
- Jon: Prez and Secretary should connect with Chairperson on same day as report comments are due to gather agenda items.
In Camera Session (10 min)
- Motion: To go in camera. Moved by Rachel, seconded by Nancy. Motion Carried.
- Please list how long you believe your topic will take to discuss:
- Nancy: one topic (10 min)
- Motion: To close the in camera discussion. Moved by Nancy, seconded by Rachel. Motion Carried.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 8:00pm. Moved by Nancy, seconded by Rachel. Motion Carried.