Board Minutes April 2013
Approved at the May 2013 Board meeting.
- 1 EBC Board Meeting Minutes for April 23, 2013
- 2 Attendance
- 3 Call to Order
- 4 Approval of Agenda
- 5 Approval of Last Month's Minutes
- 6 Logistics for Next Meeting
- 7 Reports
- 8 Current & Completed Business
- 9 New Business
- 10 In Camera Session (__ min)
- 11 Adjournment
EBC Board Meeting Minutes for April 23, 2013
Board meetings are open to the public.
- Location: Education South 3-27, University of Alberta
- Start Time: 6:30pm
Please RSVP to [email protected] if you plan on attending. Please include a brief summary of any agenda item you would like to table. Thank you!
- Meeting Chair: Leila
- Minute-taker: Micah
- Food by: Anna!
- Board attendance: Leila, Justin, Lee, Neil, Paul, Adam, Micah, Anna, Chris Corrigan
- Staff attendance: Chris Chan
- Regrets: Sarah, Bernadette, Duncan
- Guests: Brett R, Cam W
Call to Order
- Meeting called to order by Leila at 6.43pm.
Approval of Agenda
- Motion: To approve agenda. Motioned by Lee. Seconded by Micah. Motion Carried.
Approval of Last Month's Minutes
- Motion: To approve March 2013 minutes. Motioned by Anna. Seconded by Adam. Motion Carried.
Logistics for Next Meeting
- Date: 22 May
- Location: BWS (see Lee's item below)
- Chair: Lee
- Minute-taker: Micah
- Food by: Chris Corrigan
- June Date: 19th
- July Date: 24th
President's Report (5 min)
- (Leila)President's Report April 2013
- Discussion notes: none
- Motion: To accept the April 2013 President's report as presented. Motioned by Anna. Seconded by Lee. Motion Carried.
Treasurer's Report (10 min)
- (Paul) Treasurer's Report April 2013
- AGLC Report
- Discussion notes:
- Paul still becoming acquainted with methods/practices
- Concerns about north income vs south income
- Motion: To return the April 2013 Treasurer's report for revision. Motioned by Adam. Seconded by Justin. Motion Carried.
Executive Director's Report (10 min)
- (Chris Chan)Executive Director's Report April 2013
- Discussion notes:
- Talked about what's on there; incomplete; to be finished and us notified by the end of this week.
- Props to Chris on tech & newsletter skills :)
- Motion: To return the April 2013 ED report for completion. Motioned by Justin. Seconded by Neil. Motion Carried.
BikeWorks Report (10 min)
- (Coreen) [BikeWorks Report (Month) (Year)|BikeWorks Report]
- We took a moment to read it
- Discussion notes:
- Anna/Justin: maybe submitting events to community calendars (will send links to Coreen) and to community league newsletters (cost associated with latter)
- Chris Chan: Since Coreen doesn't drive, if anyone can help her with a scrap run, please do. (And in general!)
- How to get more ppl for bike-building. Budget? Solicit food donations for snacks? Ask Coreen what she envisions. (Might not even be about food.) 50$/month divided between both shops. Leila will email Coreen to ask if she needs any more board support.
- Cam: wear & tear on path: need you pavement blocks? Has some at home could give! Yes, please! We'll email Cam to set up a day for him to bring them.
- Motion: To accept the April 2013 BikeWorks report as presented. Motioned by Micah. Seconded by Adam. Motion Carried.
Volunteer Appreciation Event Committee (5 min)
- (Anna)Minutes from April 21 meeting
- Date: Saturday May 4
- General Plan:
- 6:00pm gather at BW [will determine which location when we determine party venue]
- 6:30pm group ride begins
- Route TBD. Ride will have at least 1 stop for a Scavenger Hunt style grocery shop for barbeque supplies.
- 7:30pm arrive at house venue for barbeque potluck. Fire up the Barbeque Bike!
- 9:00pm Volunteer Awards
- Announce winners from the volunteer award nomination categories (share the link: http://ow.ly/khznD ).
- Hold live competitions/challenges.
- RACE - Fastest Flat Fixer
- CREATIVE MOVEMENT/MUSIC - Interpretive Mechanic Dance-Off (fix bike while dancing or aerobics or something)
- TRIVIA - Name That Tool/Part
- CREATIVE THEATRE - Charades (eg. Mandel, Sloan, Diotte, Rob Ford, etc) - organizer needs to write a few points about each character to help cue the participant on relevant bike things that this person does/said
- RACE - Tiny bike race (family friendly! hopefully kids win but open to all ages)
- 10:00pm dance party
- Help! We could use some help with bottom-lining some of these areas. Any board members interested? Our next planning meeting is Tues April 30 @ BWS.
- Anna: March meeting we informally approved a $400 for 2 Volunteer Appreciation events per year. Just want to formalize this with a motion since it is a new budget item.
- Motion:To allocate $400 per year for Volunteer Appreciation events (one spring, one fall). Motioned by Anna. Seconded by Justin. Motion Carried.
- Acceptance: Motion: To accept the April 2013 report as presented. Motioned by Justin. Seconded by Lee. Motion Carried.
Current & Completed Business
Updates on Action Items From Previous Meeting (5 min)
- Paul (voluntold?) will review Bylaws and draft edits re: board election of members in good standing by July 30. NOT COMPLETED.
- Paul will coordinate the new signing authorities (Leila, Adam, Micah) for our bank accounts. COMPLETED.
- Micah will find some good links/resources to board on how to use wiki and how to save folders/docs in Google Drive. Deadline: March 19th. NOT COMPLETED- but now that school is over, will do.
- Anna will send out possible July dates for mid-year goals check-in. DONE - SUNDAY JULY 7 @ 10am-3pm. Please mark your calendars.
Review EBC 2013 Goals and Personal Goals (15 min)
- Review the 3 S.M.A.R.T. (specific, measurable, achievable, results-oriented, time-specific) goals for the board/organization that we created at the January retreat, since we have never seen them all together yet.
- Personally review the 3 goals board members set for themselves. This is one quarter of the way through the year! How are you doing on your goals?
- Reminder: log your board volunteer hours each month! Look how unused this spreadsheet is :(
- Discussion notes: [went over]
Appoint Acting President and VP (2 min)
- Discussion notes:
- Leila is Acting P.; Adam is tentatively acting VP. Shall we make it official?
- Motion: Motion to appoint Adam as Acting VP. Motioned by Lee. Seconded by Chris Corrigan. Motion Carried.
Guest: Cam Wakefield
- City employee but speaking as private citizen.
- Why not start a blog and collect ppl's opinions and ideas, i.e. formalise collection of information. Could use in future. (Chris Chan/Neil: google maps mash-up ([WDCS|http://edmontonbikes.ca/community/west-downtown-complete-streets/]).)
- Discussion about bike lanes on "major arterials" e.g. 95 ave. (Lengthy but extremely civil discussion.)
- Comments on what has been implemented so far? Just that over time, if ppl learn how to ride properly, City may become more accepting. Reports are that generally ppl are ok with bike lanes; media reports of objections have been overblown.
- Adam: separate groups: Strathcona, Oliver. Reaching consensus on acceptable route.
- Encourages EBC to openly express opinion about cyclist's experiences etc. in regards to planning.
- Discussion of quality of bike lanes (rather than kilometres of coverage) --> slower growth but more of it.
- Invited Cam to Advocacy Committee meetings. Chris Corrigan will send Cam the info for next Tuesday's mtng.
Questions from HR Policy Committee (10 min) (Adam)
- Mostly importantly, to what extent should the board vs the ED be responsible for performance reviews of other staff.
- Discussion notes:
- Received idea: want to get away from board doing it directly but refreshing why that's important, do we want that, want to make a policy?
- Neil: We only have 2 employees ATM so not a huge job. In terms of structure, that board has employee who runs other employees is the target.
- Leila: could we defer (it's 8.30) or should we address it today?
- Justin: not that board has day-to-day involvement; rather yearly review. Necessity of maintaining some relationship b/w board & employees; if conflict b/w staff then we would want that relationship already there. Fail-safe redundancies preferred over efficiency.
- Neil: performance review run by boss (i.e. ED --> BW Manager).
- Anna: discussions at committee level: survey of ppl to do evals; 2 bodies still giving input separate from official body. So, who to implement/manage?
- Adam: Does anyone want to go in a different direction i.e. our ED can manage other staff/ other ppl can manage performance reviews.
- maybe staff liaison could help Chris, don't need official committee.
Meeting locations (Lee)
- Maybe having mtngs at BikeWorks again? Lee proposes discussion.
- Micah: prefers campus for a variety of reasons incl. tech, ppl tromping around.
- Chris Chan: well we do have projector and screen at BWS; rooms at both BW are sadly underused.
- Leila: like having it at shops: meeting/interacting w/ ppl
- Lee: tech is nice but we could all have printed copy of agenda and read reports beforehand.
- Adam: computers and wifi at shops often have maintenance/availability issues. Reasons why we made switch to campus.
- Chris: computers work; wifi issues solved with ethernet cable; computer available in lounge to take minutes.
- Paul & Neil: off-site better for winter
- Motion: To try having May-September board meetings at BW, alternating between North and South</i>. Motioned by Lee. Seconded by Justin. Motion Carried.
- Last year had memorial ride for Isaak; could we consider one this year? yearly? Contact Kornelsen family to discuss, poss organise.
- Neil: have had annual ride around ghost bikes each year (Michael K)(diff from June Bike Month Critical Memorial Ride)
- Chris Chan: should just have Isaak Kornelsen memorial ride in August.
In Camera Session (__ min)
- Motion: To go in camera. Motioned by Adam. Seconded by Chris. Motion Carried.
- Motion: . Motioned by Lee. Seconded by Neil. Motion Carried.