Advocacy Committee Minutes September 2012
Advocacy Committee meeting - Tuesday, October 2.
In attendance: Chris Corrigan Duncan Kinney Kim McRae Anthony Dubuc Keren Tang Zack Storms
1. Update on Whyte Ave town hall and working group 2. Draw up agenda for working group meeting
2. Update on bike racks as public art initiative 3. Create a roadmap for better cycling data initiative 4. Come to an agreement on position statement on riding on sidewalks - For that one please familiarize yourself with this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/ebc-advocacy-committee/Mt84nsUPt4A 5. How do we join forces with U OF A
1. Draw up agenda for working group meeting Get everything on the table in regards to moving bikes across Old Strathcona What are the possibilities – 83rd, 82nd Ave, 81st Ave and 104 St. What kind of data do we want to gather? Terms of Reference
A CLEAR GOAL – A LIST OF OPTIONS AND A RECOMMENDATION – SIX MONTHS, SOMETHING BY MARCH/APRIL
APPOINTING ONE OR TWO PEOPLE TO SPEAK TO THE CITY ON THE WORKING GROUP’S BEHALF
WHAT KIND OF CYCLING DATA DOES THE CITY HAVE ON BOTH OPTIONS?
WORK WITH THE CITY TO GET CYCLING DATA ON BOTH OPTIONS IN 2013
CREATING A LIAISON WITH THE CITY ADMINISTRATION - COME UP WITH SPECIFIC REQUESTS OF COUNCIL IN ORDER TO GET THE DATA WE NEED
ASK FOR EXPERTISE – LET’S FIND A TRAFFIC ENGINEER OR SOMETHING SIMILAR TO GIVE OUR PROPOSAL SOME WEIGHT – PUT THAT REQUEST OUT THROUGH OUR NETWORKS – MIGHT WANT TO FIND INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT OR ENGINEER – OFFICE OF SUSTAINABILITY, ENGINEERING STUDENTS, ETC
2. Update on bike racks as public art initiative Meeting on Thursday with Kristi Trynier
3. Cycling Data roadmap
Do our own survey of cyclists – online survey, who is riding and how, put something together that we can do every year – partner up with Tyler Golly and the city to get it done What questions do we ask? Are there other templates to go from? Avoid hypotheticals – Structure it like the Portland survey – 1%, 7%, 60% style Sad history of data collection in Edmonton – traffic counts didn’t count bikes until recently Collect our own data – publicize event – use that to kickstart advocacy campaign for better data next year – agnostic it’s whether its through technology or volunteers – pursue microgrants like MAEAT Public database to dump your bike route – through iphone and android apps – map my run – talk to tech people or startup Edmonton - possible partnership with Startup Edmonton, talk to Ken – create our iPhone app? Report a commuting problem/issue, where can we improve our infrastructure – where are the issues – linkage to EBC/city data
4. Riding on sidewalks position statement Leslie and I will hammer out something and put it on the Google Group and have something ready for the next board meeting.
5. Integrating U of A Karen is representing her graduate level public health class. Wants to make cycling her issue for her group. Have a terms of reference – want a safe whyte ave community and want to integrate students Connect Chris Chan with them Want to do research – have a timellne for end of November I want a study/literature review on the efficacy of separated bike lanes vs bike boulevards