Volunteer at BikeWorks
We welcome all stripes of bike-loving people, whether mechanically inclined or not, to help out in all aspects of EBC (events, advocacy, committee work, or at either of our shops).
We are always looking for people to help out at our community bike shop. Volunteers can take on duties as a Shop Host or Mechanic, or both.
Duties as the shop host include:
- Welcome patrons to the shop
- Answer questions about EBC, BikeWorks, and cycling in Edmonton
- Handle rentals and sales of bikes, parts and memberships
- Manage flow of patrons and ensure they connect with the volunteer mechanics
- Organize and keep the shop running smoothly
- No prior mechanical experience is necessary; but you’ll certainly gain some!
Duties of mechanics include:
- Answering technical questions related to bike and part sales
- Teaching patrons how to do their bike repairs (not actually doing the repairs for the patron, though)
- Helping patrons find the right tools and parts for their repairs
- Because of the varying levels of experiences and training, our mechanics are not expected to be able to help with all types of repairs on all bikes. We do what we can, and for anything unfamiliar, we work together to figure out the solution.
Mechanics offer their assistance to patrons who need guidance with repairs. No mechanical experience is necessary for Shop Hosts or Mechanics; BikeWorks is a space to share skills and learn from others. An interest in learning and helping others to learn is all that is necessary to volunteer.
Benefits of Volunteering
Regular BikeWorks volunteers (those who commit to at least one 3-hour shift every other week, as opposed to casual volunteers who simply drop-in) receive:
- Discounts on new components
- Discounts on used bikes
- Discounts on used parts
- Subsidy for annual EBC membership (as-needed)
- Unlimited after-hours access to BikeWorks
All volunteers have access to:
- Free, volunteer-only comprehensive and specialized mechanical training courses
- Free weekly mechanical training sessions during bike-building nights
- Opportunities for paid mechanic work
- Volunteer events
If you’d like to volunteer with EBC in a capacity other than BikeWorks (education, festivals & events, advocacy, media, etc.) please email [email protected] with your area of interest.
For more information about volunteering, please see our volunteer page.