Candidates 2012

With our Annual General Meeting (AGM) approaching on September 30, 2012, EBC is looking for new board members! Board members serve a two-year term starting in December, and are responsible for the governance (but not the day-to-day operations) of EBC. The time commitment is a minimum of eight hours a month. A board member job description is available on our wiki, along with recent meeting minutes and our Society’s bylaws.

This is a great way to contribute to EBC if you share the vision of a bike-friendly Edmonton and have skills or an interest in non-profit management, accounting, grant writing, fundraising, or local advocacy. We are a growing organization with lots of projects on the go, and good governance is crucial to our success.

If you know of anyone that fits the bill, including yourself, please nominate today.

Below are the nominations to-date. Nominations remain open, and members may still be nominated from the floor of the AGM on September 30, but we encourage you to submit your nominations early so that members have a chance to review your candidate’s qualifications.

Current Nominations

Adam Burgess

Adam Burgess

What is your involvement or interest in cycling?

I’m a year-round commuter cyclist and an EBC volunteer at public shop hours as well as the Spoke (EBC’s program for youth in the Alberta Avenue/McCauley area).

What experience or skills does you have that will help you contribute to the governance of EBC?

• I have been an active EBC volunteer for two years, awarded the Alsopp award last year.
  • I served as EBC board president from December 2011 to August 2012 (I had to resign in order to apply for the Bikeworks Manager position).
  • During that time, I was active on the Human Resources committee, I drafted the Position Statements Policy to lay a foundation for advocacy, and I acted as EBC’s liaison with media, the City, and our Spoke volunteers during the time we were without an Executive Director.

What are your goals for EBC or goals for work on the board?

On the service side, I’d like to see the North shop become better utilized, our rental program become more user-friendly, more opportunities for volunteers to talk together with staff to address annoyances, and better systems of welcoming and motivating new volunteers. On the advocacy side, I’d like us to continue to represent cycling as a legitimate, safe, mainstream mode of transportation to the media and to the city. Recognizing that ideas about cycling infrastructure are varied and quickly changing even within the cycling community, I’d like EBC to be a place for an open-minded discussion among cyclists about what kind of infrastructure we’d like to see.

Brian Bell

Brian Bell

I have been an avid cyclist for years and recently relocated to Edmonton from Chicago. I would like to be involved in making Edmonton a more bike friendly city as I have seen how great it can be when done right.

What experience or skills do you have that will help you contribute to the governance of EBC?

• Project Management
  • Facilitation
  • Coaching
  • Analytical
  • Commitment and Interest
  • Dependability
  • Conflict Resolution

My goals for the EBC are to advocate for better cycling infrastructure through the city and create more awareness of EBC.

Cass Bredeson

Cass Bredeson

I’ve been commuting by bicycle in Edmonton since I moved here seven years ago, and I’ve been volunteering as a mechanic at BikeWorks since 2010.

What experience or skills do you have that will help you contribute to the governance of EBC?

• in-depth knowledge of EBC, especially BikeWorks
  • attended EBC’s strategic planning workshop
  • experienced working with diverse groups of people (mostly newcomers to Canada), giving presentations and completing projects with other non-profits
  • background in Environmental Sociology
  • What are your goals for EBC or goals for work on the board?

Dan Thompson

Dan Thompson

Nominated by Micah Cooper

What is the candidate’s involvement or interest in cycling?

Dan is an avid cyclist, relatively new to Edmonton, who bikes for commuting and for pleasure. We have ridden together throughout – and outside! -the city, and had much to say about the cycling conditions and infrastructure surrounding us. I think he will make an excellent addition to our board and help to advocate in ways that will benefit Edmonton cyclists.

What experience or skills does the candidate have that will help the candidate contribute to the governance of EBC?

• non-profit board governance experience
    • community transportation
    • a passion for cycling

What are the candidate’s goals for EBC or goals for work on the board?

• maintaining fiscal sustainability
    • improving visibility of EBC in the community
    • improving Edmonton’s cycling infrastructure through advocacy

David Hohm

David Hohm

I have commuted with a bicycle since the 1970s.
    I started bicycle commuting back then for the convenience and for exercise.
    More recently I use a bicycle for environmental reasons and try to minimize my use of personal automobiles.

• Have served on volunteer boards before: Augustana University college, church council.

My goal is to promte a sustainable and people oriented city.
    I believe that cycling is a key component of that goal.

On the EBC board my goal will be to encourage more people using bicycles in their daily routine.
    At the current time, I think many peoples’ reason for not cycling more is their concerns about saftey.
    I want to see this board continue to address the saftey concerns of cycling in Edmonton.

Matthew McCrank

Matthew McCrank

Nominated by Lindsey McCrank

What is the candidate’s involvement or interest in cycling?

Matt is a year-round commuter cyclist with a strong interest in how our city could be better accomodating to cyclists. He is passionate about promoting cycling to other Edmontonians and helping to overcome some of the barriers to cycling that currently exist.

What experience or skills does the candidate have that will help the candidate contribute to the governance of EBC?

• Former board member: condo association
    • Professional engineer: Civil engineering

What are the candidate’s goals for EBC or goals for work on the board?

Matt wants to link up with other people who are passionate about cycle commuting and help to make a Edmonton a more bike-friendly and sustainable city.

Megan Heather

Megan Heather

I have been a year round cyclist for the last few years and it is my main means of transportation. I also appreciate it as sport and as recreation. I have been involved in organizing a few cycling events and each me has inspired me in a new way.

• experienced cyclist
    • knowledge of intersecting oppressions
    • familiarity with ebc and it’s functions

I am interested to continue the work of creating inclusive accessible spaces for more members of Edmonton’s cycling community. Specifically in relation to the North shop as I am also a resident of McCauley. I’m interested in policy and advocacy of minimizing intersecting oppressions in the shops as well as other community activities EBC is involved with. I am excited learn from the experiences of other members of EBC and to share my own.

I want to see EBC continue to support, advocate and educate for safer cycling and infrastructure in Edmonton. And to expand and network and with other grassroots initiatives in the city!

Melanie Alexander

Melanie Alexander

I bike every single day and feel that biking is essential to my identify as a queer feminist activist. I love learning new things about my bike and how to repair things myself. I am interested in making the cycling community a safe and accessible place for all bikers.

• Volunteer and Project Coordinator for Campus Community Garden
    • Currently a Project Coordinator for non-profit
    • Completed Next Up Youth Leadership activist program

To increase the accessibility of EBC for people who are bikers but are marginalized in the EBC bike community. I would love to make EBC more of a community space and promote intersections of the bike community with other activism.

Sarah Harold

Sarah Harold

I believe that cycling (and all forms of human powered locomotion) as a form of transportation and recreation, is vital to the development of community. I commute by bicycle whenever possible and have organized, participated in, and led various sized tours with groups ranging from 3 (myself included) to 10 people.
    I have a vested interest awareness and education, specifically, cycling safety for all ages, cyclists and otherwise.

• Extensive training, experience utilizing and facilitating workshops on; non-violent and 2-way communication, conflict resolution and problem solving, and active listening.
    • Wide range of experiences with non-profit organizations of various sizes from points of view including; volunteer, paid staff, and board member.
    • Recruitment
    • Facilitation
    • Event Planning and execution
    • Experience taking professional minutes
    • Positive and optimistic perspective

I would like to see EBC expand their demographic, raise awareness and reach a larger client base. I see possibilities for EBC to partner with other community organizations and to expand relationships with the people of Edmonton.
    I would like assist in securing more funds to forward EBC’s development.
    I can envision Edmonton as a more sustainable, cycle friendly city. I feel a need to put my energy and strengths into action to be a part of this positive movement.

Board members will be elected to vacant positions at the AGM. Candidates can be nominated from the floor of the meeting, but interested folks are also encouraged to share a bit about themselves in advance. If you have any questions about the board, or just need a little encouragement, please e-mail [email protected].